What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paradoxa

Hello all-

I have two lovely paradoxa that have been thriving for two years in a warm terrrarium. They both have grown tall (6 inches), but now are looking spindily and a bit unhealthy. Can I repot these plants, burying the old dead sections in the medium, with only the green tops above? I know falconeri normally need a dormant period, is this what the paradoxa are longing for? Can paradoxa be propagated from cuttings (like falconeri)? I just hate to see these little guys dissapear altogether...as they are my office mates.

Should I cut off all their flowers? Sorry for all the inane questions.

michael

Weocome to Terra Forums Michael, and thanks for the questions. Maybe we can learn some things about Drosera paradoxa here!

What you describe possibly be a dormancy issue. If the arms are getting smaller and the plant is shrinking at the top, I suggest you reduce watering and decrease the humidity. This is an indication of dormancy. My plant lasted about the same length of time as yours: 2-3 yrs. in full and active growth, then became weak without reason. The center stem died and then mold got to it. I think I would keep it less wet if I could do it over. Since this was my only experience with this species, I can't offer much more advice. I tried buying the stem deeper but it did not help. This has been the only species that did not have a successful dormancy for me. D. falconeri has regular dormancy without any problems, other than it looks pretty sad for awhile. I keep all the Petiolaris just damp when they go dormant, and in conditions of good air circulation.

I have heard different opinions on the removal of the scape. Some say the plant can flower itself to death if not removed, others claim removal only triggers additional scapes, so let it be. I let mine flower, since removal seemed to stimulate more scapes, at least in D. falconeri - whereas if I let it make a good scape, it flowers and gets done with the job. I assume D. paradoxa would behave in similar fashion.

Sorry I can't offer you more and hope this helps.

Hi, propagation of leaf cuttings in destilled water is no problem, see the thread for this topic. I would cut the flowers off, my plants did not bring up another scape afterwards...

Read the complete thread here:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....iolaris

Thank you, both Tamlin and Jan.

Jan, I had read that thread on cuttings a while back, thanks for reminding me...I will give it a shot.

I'll keep every one posted as to what happens.

mm

I have the same shrinking mould problem and let the water dry the other day. Mould has decreased some but the leaf cuttings I took fared no better. Might have to try again with this one!

Back