Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And then there is Drosera hamiltonii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I encourage anyone growing this plant to snip a root or two and make yourself some extra plants.

Now if I can only figure out how to get them to grow as well as I can propagate them.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joseph,

D. hamiltonii is one of my favorite drosera. You can see why:

They are doing so well where they are that I dare'n't move them to take root cuttings, lest I ruin their bliss. Yet I suppose I'd better sometime. Have you succeeded using leaf cuttings?

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joseph, hi noah...

my plants look a lot like noahs and I got the same good results from root cuttings. Leaf cuttings worked, too. What a shame, my plants never flowered up to now...too warm dormancy I think. Any tips?

Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow,
    I like hamiltonii alot.I want to add them to my collection.Do they produce seeds or do you have to have cuttings?
    Mark W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do produce seeds, but it is not easy to find hamiltonii seeds in cultivation as the species is often difficult to flower and does not self well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah, nice plants and nice photo.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It was the second Drosera I ever flowered, yet I have not been able to repeat the event for almost 3 decades now. But, honestly I haven't tried as much as I should have. I will give some a few months in my dormancy chamber (refrigerator), and see if that helps. I have produced them from leaf cuttings, but root cutting are much faster, I have taken to using them more than leaf cuttings. If I ever get it to flower again, I will, of course, attempt to get seed. It would be fun to start them from seed as I've never had the opportunity before (all seed acquired as Drosera hamiltonii seed proved to be, in actuality, Drosera aliciae[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] ). Now, that isn't 100% bad, just kinda disappointing.

Right after this photo was taken I transferred all of these little ones from the bed of LFS where the root pieces lay on the surface until they had produced these plantlets into a little larger and deeper undrained tray, in a mixture of peat/pumice (50/50) mud. I will keep it wet to the surface until all the little plantlets show they are growing again before I reduce the water level.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CP2K,

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]They do produce seeds, but it is not easy to find hamiltonii seeds in cultivation as the species is often difficult to flower and does not self well.
    Have you succeeded in getting this species to produce seed? I looked it up in the Savage Garden yesterday, and Peter reports that the flowers don't produce seed. He's been wrong on other things though, and I could see that it's just a matter of them not selfing well.

I too will attempt a colder dormancy. I'd love to get some flowers, I've heard they are quite large and showy.

cheers,

-noah

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume that those plants are all from one clone because of their vigorous asexual propagation methods and that you will need two clones to get seeds.

But only a guess...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast