What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips on D. falconeri Pollination

My D. falconeri plants are starting flowering
Any tips on Pollination of them?
Arie

Hi Arie. Most plants of the same clone are self sterile. Still, you never know what might be possible until you try! I use a small brush and make like a bee before the flowers close. If they don't open all the way, just gently roll the bud in your fingers to press the flower parts together. Alternatively, you can just rub different flowers together.

If you have any other petiolaris complex plants in flower, you can try making a hybrid: they form hybrids readily. Congratulations on successfully flowering your plants!

Will do so
Thanks
Arie

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>My original clone has been flowering regularly each year. I have selfed it, but yet no seed. I recently obtained a small plant, possibly of a different clone. Wish me luck. When it matures and blooms I plan to either save some pollen to use with the original clone, or if they bloom simultaneously I will swap pollen between them and see if that will inspire them.

Good luck Arie.</span>

I have managed to get a small amount of seed from my paradoxa, I have 7 plants I grew from seed and even though they are different clones, even the flowers are different colours (well intensisty) they do not want to produce much seed. I have spent many an afternoon rubbing flowers together and have got only the tiniest amount of seed! I will be very interested to see how you go PinguiculaMan, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

George

One of the most famous US growers of this plant, Sean Samia, said they will produce well asexually if you take a razor blade and cut your plant into quarters, with a little apical meristem on each quarter.
I don't recommend anybody trying that with their only plant.
In fact, don't even listen to the guy quipping about hacking up rare Drosera when he doesn't even have one himself, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Good luck Joseph on your crossing of clones. I hope they are really different clones. This again illustrates the difficulties of the popularity of TC: most of what is getting into circulation now are all descended from common stock. Finding new seed is a rare event, and without it reproducion of these rare plants is restricted to asexual methods. We need new stock!

I would think that surely there is more than one clone in tc, but what do I know? I was shocked to learn that when N. campanulata came out, there were 24 clones and you had an equal chance of any of the 24, so getting a male/female plant may not be that hard.

Regards,

Joe

Back