User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Did I do something wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I cut off a leaf from my D. adelae a few weeks ago and place it on top of some Sphagnum in the bottom of a cup(top cut off), placed it in with the parent plant and waited.

The leaf turned black and I noticed it yesterday....no fungus growth, but I noticed lots of springtails hangin around.

Here are my Q's

Is it bad to use the leaves that are no longer dewy, or do you have to use dewy leaves? I don't have the heart to touch those when they are doing so well.

Is there anything Im doing wrong as far as technique?

Im thinking of putting the leaves into distilled water. Does this work better for this species?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nflytrap,
    I haven't tried leave cuttings from my adalae (I have to many plantlets coming up from the roots), but on my binata I used leaves that had lost their dew and were beginning to die back. Most of them produced plantlets. Is this the only leave cutting or is this one of many with the same result? Have you tried covering the top of the container to further slow down evaporation?

I'd try the distilled water technique just to see if you have better luck with it, as well as leaf cuttings.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good success with adelae in peat, the leaves take ages to sprout, nearly 8 weeks. I simply covered the leaf section lightly with peat so parts of the leaf could still be seed and watered in well. I then left the pot sitting in water and "presto" new plants!!

Remember not all leaves will take so don't give up.

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rinse them off and put them into a glass of water in good light. Works wonderfully. Don't worry if the leaves float, they will sprout regardless.

Median aged leaves work best, but old ones and young ones can too.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, this is only one leaf, so I guess that i'll have to try again.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Feb. 08 2004,21:53)]Okay, so I cut off a leaf from my D. adelae a few weeks ago and place it on top of some Sphagnum in the bottom of a cup(top cut off), placed it in with the parent plant and waited.

The leaf turned black and I noticed it yesterday....no fungus growth, but I noticed lots of springtails hangin around.

Here are my Q's

Is it bad to use the leaves that are no longer dewy, or do you have to use dewy leaves? I don't have the heart to touch those when they are doing so well.

Is there anything Im doing wrong as far as technique?

Im thinking of putting the leaves into distilled water. Does this work better for this species?
    o_O springtails? And you have to ask what the problem is, lol. Yah, the insects would be your largest thret.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List