What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris

I saw what Tamlin grows his beautiful D. darwenensis in. What do thers who grow members of this group use as a compost?

Regards,

Joe

I grow D. ordensis "Mulligans Lagoon" (picture below) and use approx. 1 part rinced peat to 2 parts rinced sand.  Hope that helps.
dordensis.jpg

Andrew

I also use 1:2, peat to sand.

All my plants grow in 50/50 LFS/perlite with an addition of a couple tablespoons of finely crushed laterite to the mix. All are topdressed with laterite once the plants are established.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I grow mine mostly in 100% peat moss. Some have a little pumice or sand added. A few are in 50/50 peat/silica sand (20 grit).</span>

Equal parts peat moss, perlite, and sand.  So far, so good.  
wink.gif

Homer

It looks like(as with most cp) that the important thing is the growing conditions(high temps, moisture, and humidity in the case of these). Really interesting answers.
Tamlin, have you ever found a reasonably priced source of laterite in the US? I found small boxes at fish stores for $14.99. I saw something once called "Flourite" that looked similar and was $20 for a decent sized bag.

Regards,

Joe

I purchase laterite at tropical fish supply concerns. If anyone pursues this, be sure to specify that you want the smallest particle size available, as it somes in various grades.

Flourite is not laterite, and even laterite should be approached with caution. There is laterite and there is laterite: chemical composition can vary greatly according to Robert Gibson. So far I have used 2 different batches and neither has caused any detrimental affects to my plants, but I have not had a great deal of experience and always keep Robert's comments in the back of my head.

I was suprised that the product was called Flourite, as to me, that is the mineral that is purple/clear/green(seen at gem/mineral shows) and glows under a black light. This stuff was tiny grained, high in iron stuff that looked just like the laterite I have.

Regards,

Joe

I grow my petiolaris dews in equal parts of peat, perlite and sand and also in mixes with long fibered sphagnum, peat, sand and perlite.
Michael's%20CP%20013.jpg

Awesome Pic! Is that D. petiolaris, itself?
Mr. Samia once told me 70% perlite, 30% milled sphagnum. I don't know if Sean is lurking around these days or not.
Good stuff everyone, thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Actually, that is D.paradoxa. I grew them from seed to a three in size in less than a year. Hopefully they will flower and produce seeds.

Will leaf cuttings work with D. paradoxa?

Yes, if done correctly (use the search engine!).

CP2K,

Are you sure that it is a pure D. paradoxa? I could be wrong, but i looks like it has some D. lanata in it. Haven't got such a hybrid myself, but the fuzzy petioles look different from the D. paradoxa I have seen.

Regards,

Christer

Hi Chris,
These were grown from seeds from Lowrie labeled as paradoxa-100km north Drysdale River Station, Kimberley. They have a little more hair than the paradoxa I got from Dean, but otherwise, I cannot see any difference in the rosette.

Hi,

Must be some variation then, I've got D. paradoxa, Drysdale River myself. I also noticed your plants have few new leaves, maybe they are starting a new growth cycle also. Seems to get more light than my plants too, nice coloration.

Just to add something to the original discussion, like some other people here I use 1 part peat moss to 2 parts sand. Also for the first time one of my D. petiolaris (Howard Springs) is sending up flower stalks.

Regards

Christer

What are good germination conditions for Paradoxa?

I've got a question regarding D. kenneallyi, since we're on the subject (kind of  
smile.gif
).  

I'm growing this plant along with aff. paradoxa, D. ordensis, and ssp. Zimbabwe, which are doing great, except for the kenneallyi.  All are kept in the same conditions.  I was wondering if there is any particular care needed for this plant that differs from the others?  I heard these plants go dormant when they want to regardless of conditions, maybe that's the case??  Tamlin, I recall that you have a kenneallyi as well? How's it growing for you?

-Homer

Hi Homer,

My plant is growing very well, and is sending up scapes. I do nothing different regarding its culture. I have found that if dormancy arises, a cautious approach is to decrease substrate moisture and increase air circulation. Often plants will go dormant when received, and it is then touch and go: for me, they have usually gone, so I am not the one to ask regarding emergency measures.

Back