What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera venusta

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here we have one really pretty sundew, despite that it has very little red in its coloration. A very attractive appearance nevertheless.

d_venusta_q_A1_reduced.jpg
</span>

Very nice.  Looks very similar to my D. "ssp. Zimbabwe, Chimanimani Mnts" from SundewMatt.  

I took this picture this morning.  Growth has been very good this past month.

sspzimbabwe.jpg

-Homer

D. venusta is one of my favorite dews. Its leaves remind me of fireworks. Here is a pic of mine...

tank012704_002.jpg

Enjoy
Steve

The "sp. Zimbabwe, Chimanimani Mnts" is probably natalensis.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>The "sp. Zimbabwe, Chimanimani Mnts" looks just like my "sp. Rhodesia". Those rows of tentacles (parallel to each other and the midrib of the leaf) bowing towards each other, are fairly distinctive.</span>

Oooohhh, love the D. venusta! It has great, big dew drops, and mine grows robustly. This should be a more popular 'dew. Don't know anything about the location data or anything on mine, but here it is:
D.%20venusta2.JPG

Capslock

Very astute observations regarding the Drosera "Zimbabwe" amd D. venusta. Both are likely best regarded as regional forms of D. natalensis. Possibly the other as well, although the styles of. "Sp. Rhodesia" did not quite conform to D. natalensis, but there are many other common characteristics between them. D. venusta by the way is also from the Chimanimani Mts. in South Africa. I have also seen intermediate forms with slighly wider (although not as wide as D. venusta) lamina with similar characteristics of both D. venusta and D. dielsiana (the latest example of these seemingly endless reiterations is posted on the ID forum). Sundew stew, anyone?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tamlind....003.jpg

http://www.sherlock-droserae.com/UploadF...._2r.jpg

Here's a good flower:

http://www.sherlock-droserae.com/UploadF...._3r.jpg

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Great show. Thanks everybody. Really love this one.

Anyone have any experience producing seed from this species?</span>

I have seedlings appearing in pots all over the place from this species. It is becomnig as big a 'weed' as capensis in my collection. It is beginning to become a bit annoying when I think that some of my South American Drosera seed is germinating only to quickly grow into a venusta. Still a beautiful plant though.

I'll post a shot of my extremely red plants when I get home from work.

Sean.

Here is a shot of one of my plants. It grows in very high light levels and attains a nice reddish hue. It is one of the few Drosera in my greenhouse that haven't seemed to be knocked backwards by the extreme temperatures we are experiencing at this time of year.

Drosera%20venusta1%20120204.JPG

Sean.

I was just wondering does D.venusta self pollinate?

Very nice pictures everyone!!

Now I hope my cuttings from Christians plant will do well... ;)

Jan

It is a fairly straighforward plant to grow, although I do confirm Robert Gibson's observation that flowering often sets back the plant's growth for months. This is one species that I nip the scapes on. Other growrs have not noticed this effect, but it is universal amongst my plants. Something to keep an eye on perhaps.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Tamlin,

The only Drosera venusta in my care I received from you. Flowering slows down some of my Drosera species, but I have not noticed that happening with this one as you mention it happens to yours. I wonder what the environmental differences are that produce this effect for you.

BTW mine just finished flowering and I cut the stalk to harvest the seed just before taking the picture for this thread.

Flowers were spaced out about 1-1/2 inches apart. After the last flower finished blooming, two secondary buds formed and bloomed --- they grew from within the bracts of earlier flowers. Very curious affect.</span>

Back