What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera pycnoblasta

Here is a couple of photos of one of my favourite pygmy Drosera species- Drosera pycnoblasta. I reckon the pearly white domes formed by the stipules look awesome.

Here is a single plant-
Drosera%20pycnoblasta1%20PW%20220104.JPG

And a couple growing closely together-
Drosera%20pycnoblasta2%20PW%20220104.JPG

Does anyone else out there grow this great little species? It can be difficult to grow, but well worth the effort.

Unlike most of my other pygmy species that I keep in a tray of water during Summer, this one is kept on a bench until the surface is quite dry. It is then added to the watertray long enough for the soil to rewet (usually about 30 minutes). It is then removed and allowed to slowly dry until the process in repeated (usually around every week or so)

Sean.

Awesome! Simply breathtaking!
wow.gif

Look like a pair of pearl stud earrings growing out from soil, beautiful jewelry pygmy.

I'm growing this species.  Not looking as well as your pygmies, but my lone pycnoblasta does has a small pearly white dome.  

Is this normal this time of year (winter) for the stipules to form?  

-Homer

Sean: Great plants!

Homer: Sean lives in Australia...

Jan

Ahhh, beautiful! This species is a source of shame for me: I have lost it twice during the summer. This time I have taken a lesson from CpK2 and have incorporated a greater amount of perlite into my mix. Thanks again for the photos, and may you have a bountiful crop of gemmae from your plants!

Hi Homer,

It is normal for your plant to be producing the stipule domes in winter also. Generally they have the domes all year.

Sean.

The second pic, especially, looks like mitosis.

Whoa! Those look like little nuclear explosions just starting to happen (without the horror part!) Amazing!

Capslock

Here are some of my pycnoblasta growing outdoors in full sun. The plants are growing in a mix that contains lots of perlite. All the plants grew over the summer without any signs of dormancy.
Michael's%20CP%20026.jpg

CP2K, the leaves on those plants are incredibly red. Even the plants I have seen growing in the wild in WA did not have leaves anywhere near as red as those. That looks like a huge pot you are growing them in. How large is it? I'm thinking that you wouldn't be able to fit many of them in a small yard.

Sean.

Sean,

Possibly a result of different population variables? Here's what mine looks (looked) like:

Drosera_pycnoblasta_02_2_3_4.sized.jpg

Hi Sean,
Pretty much all my pygmies are red during the winter with full sun. During the summer, I give them almost 70% shade and the coloration is much like your plant. I grow most of my pygmies in white pots that are 6-12in deep. The pycnoblasta is in an 8in deep pot. I can fit quite a few of these pots on a 5ft x8ft bench.

Well, this was one I really wanted, afraid it has gone all the way to a true desire now. Great job guys! Those are fantasic plants and pictures.

Cool pics guys! I like the stipules in the center looks like skink stomachs!

Back