What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera slackii x capensis

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd let you guys have a look at one of my South African Drosera hybrids. This plant is a cross between Drosera slackii and capensis. I did not produce the hybrid myself but think it is a very attractive plant. The photo does not do the plant justice but gives you a reasonable idea of what the plant looks like.

Drosera%20slackii%20x%20capensis2%20120204.JPG

Sean.

Wow, very interesting plant and certainly one to puzzle future taxonomists! I suggest you take some more photo's and post them where Bob Z. can pick them up for inclusion on his photo website. Until now, I was not aware of the existence of this hybrid! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Bob,

Yep, that's the same plant just after winter. I nearly lost it during the colder months and had to place it on top of my heated tank to give it a little extra warmth that seemed to keep it alive. As soon as the temps warmed up it took off and continues to grow in size. The plant is now around an inch and a half tall by the same width.

I'll get some better shots on my days off when I can catch it in daylight. It's very tricky to photograph because of its 3 dimensional nature.

Sean.

Cripes that is fantastic! Does it propagate as well from root cuttings as you would expect from those parents?

Regards,

Joe

Sorry for opening this discussion after 7 years 0_0 but I've done more or less the same cross D. slackii x capensis "Montagu pass", I've obtained a good number of seeds and some weeks ago I've sown them.
I just wanted to know how they would look like...but the original image on the first post is not available...is there someone that could retreive it for me?

I'll see if I can track down a decent image. The plants still grow well BTW.

All i see is the :redx: So how about some more :pics:?

I couldn't find any of the older images so have taken one in the glasshouse today. Plants are currently about 3 inches across but grow larger than 4 inches in early spring. They have produced 1 flowerscape since I obtained the hybrid back in 2003.

DSC_4091.jpg

Wow!!! They are gorgeous!! I hope also mine will look like them! With the difference that I used capensis "Montagu pass" that is a very large capensis :)
Thank you Sean!

Back