User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OH LOOK! NEW VERSION OF D. capensis 'narrow leaf'

Ok, I've got a terrarium going of a bunch of CP's. Now to my understanding, the main way a D. capensis reproduces (I believe) is through bifracation (and secondary, is seed). Occassionally a plant will spawn one through what's called a "witches brew" (when it creates a new plant right off a leaf, usually the resulting spawned plant is a new sub species).

Now here's the deal. My capensis' have been bifracating out the ying yang and one spawned a witches brew. I sperated it from the other plants and watched it carefully (it's slightly different, has brauder leafs and is growing at an accelerated rate). It keeps spawning by way of "witches brew" method, which leads me to believe this new sub species main way of reproduction has changed from bifracation to witches brewing.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a 'witches brew'?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (guqin @ Feb. 13 2004,14:12)]What is a 'witches brew'?
    The witches brew is like a small wart on the plant leaf which just keeps getting bigger and bigger and becomes a seperate plant...has nothing to do with leaf cutting.

I have to look, but I don't think I got pictures of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's a leaf cutting without the leaf being cut. Where did the name 'witches brew' come from? Did you make it up yourself?

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh cool, so it's like it got cancer and the cancer became a new plant, lol. Got to love funky plant mutations. We learned about something similar to this in my genetics class, but never named it. Do you know the technical name for this form of reproduction? From your description, it sounds like a chromosomal duplication of some sort, but you would have to test that.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe its tricked that its a leaf cutting, like my VFT. I pulled out a leaf and somehow a new rizhome grows out of the leaf from the injured part (where i pull out the other leaf) . Now my VFT has about 6 rizhomes because i pulled out like 5 or more leafs to do cuttings
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are trying to describe what is commonly called "callus". All leaf and root cuttings are formed from this same process. Adventitious buds, which go on to form plants are generated from a small cluster of callus cells. In a way, callus can be compared to cancer in animals. Burls on trees are usually formed of callus, shoots that generate from them can usually be removed, rooted and produce normal trees.

Many external stimuli can cause callus formation. In severed leaves the missing hormones produced and distributed from the apical meristem (now missing) often are the cause of severed plant parts forming callus and adventitious buds. Certain insects can by their activity inspire callus formation. Plant hormones, especially cytokinins can also do the trick. BTW: 2,4 D (the broadleaf lawn weed killer's effect is due to its strong cytokinin like activity).

This process we exploit to start more plants. Usually they are identical to the parent plant, however, many cells that make up most plants can intrinsically be genetically different from the parent plant. For instance variagated plants are often composed of several different genetic makeups that grow together to produce the observed effect.

Bifracating, do you mean bifurcating, That is a description of how plants branch.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast