What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OH LOOK! NEW VERSION OF D. capensis 'narrow leaf'

G

Ok, I've got a terrarium going of a bunch of CP's. Now to my understanding, the main way a D. capensis reproduces (I believe) is through bifracation (and secondary, is seed). Occassionally a plant will spawn one through what's called a "witches brew" (when it creates a new plant right off a leaf, usually the resulting spawned plant is a new sub species).

Now here's the deal. My capensis' have been bifracating out the ying yang and one spawned a witches brew. I sperated it from the other plants and watched it carefully (it's slightly different, has brauder leafs and is growing at an accelerated rate). It keeps spawning by way of "witches brew" method, which leads me to believe this new sub species main way of reproduction has changed from bifracation to witches brewing.

Any thoughts?

What is a 'witches brew'?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (guqin @ Feb. 13 2004,14:12)]What is a 'witches brew'?
The witches brew is like a small wart on the plant leaf which just keeps getting bigger and bigger and becomes a seperate plant...has nothing to do with leaf cutting.

I have to look, but I don't think I got pictures of it.

So it's a leaf cutting without the leaf being cut. Where did the name 'witches brew' come from? Did you make it up yourself?

Sean.

Oh cool, so it's like it got cancer and the cancer became a new plant, lol. Got to love funky plant mutations. We learned about something similar to this in my genetics class, but never named it. Do you know the technical name for this form of reproduction? From your description, it sounds like a chromosomal duplication of some sort, but you would have to test that.

Maybe its tricked that its a leaf cutting, like my VFT. I pulled out a leaf and somehow a new rizhome grows out of the leaf from the injured part (where i pull out the other leaf) . Now my VFT has about 6 rizhomes because i pulled out like 5 or more leafs to do cuttings

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Sounds like you are trying to describe what is commonly called "callus". All leaf and root cuttings are formed from this same process. Adventitious buds, which go on to form plants are generated from a small cluster of callus cells. In a way, callus can be compared to cancer in animals. Burls on trees are usually formed of callus, shoots that generate from them can usually be removed, rooted and produce normal trees.

Many external stimuli can cause callus formation. In severed leaves the missing hormones produced and distributed from the apical meristem (now missing) often are the cause of severed plant parts forming callus and adventitious buds. Certain insects can by their activity inspire callus formation. Plant hormones, especially cytokinins can also do the trick. BTW: 2,4 D (the broadleaf lawn weed killer's effect is due to its strong cytokinin like activity).

This process we exploit to start more plants. Usually they are identical to the parent plant, however, many cells that make up most plants can intrinsically be genetically different from the parent plant. For instance variagated plants are often composed of several different genetic makeups that grow together to produce the observed effect.

Bifracating, do you mean bifurcating, That is a description of how plants branch.</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Feb. 13 2004,15:08)]So it's a leaf cutting without the leaf being cut. Where did the name 'witches brew' come from? Did you make it up yourself?

Sean.
No I did not make that term up, its an actual hornaculture term (sorry, my spelling sucks).

Darcie, your description is very good...yes, it's like a cancer that forms a new plant.

callus may sound correct, but it also sounds like this is based on leaf cuttings which in this case has nothing to do with what's happen with the plant.
And yes, I did mean to say bifurcating before. Once again, my spelling sucks...

There seems to be a preponderence of those "snooty words" in this thread. Right, Darcie? Could someone further define the term - bifurcating & callus?

No offence, but I think you might be getting your terminology mixed up. I believe you could be referring to "witches broom", which is a fungal disease affecting woody plants. It causes the plant to produce a dense knot of small twigs. Here's an example

It wouldn't produce a new plant though. If you post a pic it will be much clearer.

Cheers.

Rob.
http://www.rob-rah.com
udder7@hotmail.com

Jim,

Here is further clarification on the definitions of the 'snooty words' you requested-

callus- the thick new tissue that develops and covers the injury to a plant or cutting.

bifurcate- (bi= 2, furcate= forked), with 2 branches.
Examples being the forking of stigmas, the leaf of a Drosera binata, or the stem of a D. capensis dividing and forming 2 plants.

Sean.

It could be the plant is missing a regulation gene in the origenal leaf causeing unrepaired celluler damage to occur more frequently. I can see this causeing an effect similar to dramatically injerd leaves, aka cuttings. Same root process, different trigger. I'll go see if I can dig up some info on the subject
smile.gif
it sounds neet... I think we have a horticulture slang term here. Like Sun Skalled, it's not technical, but it's commenly used in some places, while not in others.

Okay, I didn't find witches brew or callus to be mentioned as a name for axsexual reproduction anywere, but I did find some names
smile.gif
Actually, I mostly found out common terms for funky reproductive methoids are compleatly unreliable and all over the map, lol. I also found no scientific term, just decriptive phrases. I guess plants just have too many ways of reproducing ;)

Budding: This is a coined term by a few people who, "for lack of a better term", chose to refer to the process by thesame name as the animal asexual reproductive standard. This is Mitosis at Meristem(did I spell that correctly?)... or the rapid formation of dence cellular masses on a leaf of a plant that eventually grow into miniture adults. They may drop off on there own, or require a trama of the leaf. Sporatic in many plants, common in few, cause of sporatic occurences unknown.

Water Sprout: Common in fruit trees, causes mini tree to shoot out of limb and branch out as though a seporet entity, related to suckers.

Suckers: Minni plants in progress along the stem at leaf and buds and joints. If left may create entire minni version of the adult and drop to the ground, or remain as extra folliage untill adult suffers trama hitting ground and then the sucker will send down roots. Acts as back up system in many fruits.

Natural Layering: When a lead touches the ground, the parent plant is stimulated to produce a plantlett at this point. Many plants will only do this with the help of humans and must be burried rather then symply touch moisture, in this case it is mearly called Layering. If layering occurs above ground level, it's called air layering.

Runners (Stolons(sp?) and Rhyzomes): All stems. Rhyzomes run undeground and form new plants when they meet sutable conditions. Stolons are above ground and create plantlets when they meet sutable conditions/dorment node on stem touches soil surface.

I'm going to guess that it is either natural air layering if it is at the leaf tip, or if it is some other place on the leaf then the "budding" thing and if it is at the joint of the leaf, sucker-like thingy.
smile.gif

Sounds like the plant has become vivaperous,Nymphea micranthus is a classic example of this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Feb. 15 2004,23:38)]Sounds like the plant has become vivaperous,Nymphea micranthus is a classic example of this.
yet another term I can't find, lol

Darcie,

Nice rundown on the definitions. Too bad you couldn't find "witches brew" I rather liked that one!

GREAT LOWDOWN DARCIE! way to go the extra distance!

Based on the above deffinitions, I am going to go with either budding or my best bet is Water Sprout (but the plant doesn't stay mini it get's big very fast once it hits ground)

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Spelling things correctly, or knowing how to spell correctly helps:

Viviparous: Viviparous definition
Comic6a.gif

Describes seeds or fruit which sprout before they fall from the parent plant.</span>

Geez, Joe. Yu and you're spelen an gramer gripein agen.

tounge.gif

Back