User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. 'Marston Dragon' and root cutting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mature D. 'Marston Dragon' and it is flowering (again). How much energy does it take out of this plant to put up a stalk? I am planing on pollinating it with a root cutting, but am unsure of it because I wonder how resiliant the plant would be to diasese and all. The only real reason I am letting it flower is to get pics for BobZ. The plant seemingly has slowed it's production down quite a bit. Shifting gears a bit...I have several root cuttings (yes, these are for the people that posted for them in the tfs) that have some tenticles turning black on the ends. I figure that this is from too much water, but I am just really looking for confirmation on that. One last thing, how long does it take for a root cutting (just the root with no outward evidence of producing growth) take to take root and grow? Thanks for all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let my plants flower. It doesn't really seem to affect them, and I love these large flowers! The pollination attempt may not work: often these plants require a different clone to set seed. I have never reproduced the plants by root cuttings: mine make so many offsets that there has never been a need. Possibly Pinguiculaman has some experience with this to offer to you.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

My Drosera 'Marston Dragon' grow like most of the other Drosera binata varieties. Strike easily from root, leaf and flower stem cuttings. I do my leaf and flower stalk cuttings floating them in water.

I too have no problems with flowers. I just let them alone. If I have other Drosera binata in bloom at the same time I will often make seed by cross-pollinating the different clones.

Some possible reasons for leaf tip trouble.
    Leaf tips dying or black usually = not enough water, TDS of media/water too high, humidity too low, mite attack, lack of certain nutrients, and/or lack of sufficient light.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A