What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii photos

I have three different types of D. burmannii and thought it would be interesting to post photos of them to compare the differences. They are grown outdoors and are good little eaters. My full size pics show much more detail but this is the largest size that will fit on my website.

D. burmannii green
1.jpg

D. burmannii green eating an unknown critter
4.jpg

D. burmannii red x green
3.jpg

D. burmannii red
2.jpg

The red and the green flowered about a month ago and I will be planting the seeds some time this week...any hints about media and stuff? I would love to have a pot filled with these little cuties.

Wow!!! I've been in love with D. burmannii for a while already...would definitely fall deeper when I have one!
smile.gif

Hi Cindy,
I have green and greenxred in my growlist, they are flowering, just wait a while longer, ok?.
laugh.gif

But still looking for (seeing) red

Jk

does this species have flowers that can self pollinate?

Thanks, j/k.
biggrin.gif

droseradude, I believe they are self pollinating but would really have to defer to some of our more knowlegable members for an answer.
rock.gif

They self...mine has flowered prolifically, however in my experience the plants decline after heavy flowering. My original plant is now gone but I have 4 beauties in its place.
smile.gif
They are sending up flower stalks as well right now but I may not allow all to flower.

Hello,

D.burmannii is an annual sundew, that means that the plants will die after flowering for some time. It is also self fertile and will self pollinate without any help and the seed is very easy to germinate.

Regards.

They don't always behave like annuals. It all depends on your climate. In my climate, they don't die during winter, just slows down growth.

That's true larry.. they can grow for more than a year (Indeed, they do here sometimes as i live in the tropics) but never consider this species as a perennial. The plants are short lived and wont grow for more tha 1 or 2 years under normal circumstances.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I am not saying that this is an absolute, your own experience may be quite different from my own.

But, from my experience, any effort to keep them from flowering is often a wasted effort. They can often pour even more effort into blooming if their initial efforts are interfered with.</span>

That's strange, my D. burmannii doesn't look like any of the pictures posted here or in the ones in the wild Sundewrex posted. Mine looks like the 'green' posted in this thread but the petioles are longer, thinner and become round at the ends where the tentacles protrude. The entire plant is green except the glands at the tips of the tentacles which are red.???

burmannii%20in%20taipoa.JPG

By observation in the wild,D.burmannii will have  different shapes and color according to the season and surrounding area.I guess the red form and the red x green form may be are the same species.you can put a all-green species closed to the light,and put a red species away from the light for a month,you may find the answer      
rock.gif

sorry if i am wrong:D

rex

Hi,

here are two pictures from my plants from last year. Both are grown side by side under the same conditions in my Greenhouse. They obviously have different colors. I have never grown, what is called a 'green form', but is suspect, there are really some forms, that stay green, no matter how much light they get.

burmanii_nr1_001_11_02072003_002tn.jpg

higer resoultion

burmanii_nr2_001_27_12092003_001tn.jpg

higher resoultion

Christian

Hi,Christian
The following picture was taken at the same location as the green one,the red one was exposed to the strong sunlight,the other were not  
wink.gif

so,this species is green or red form ?
wink.gif

burmannii%20%20(TaiPoa%20hk).jpg

thanks!
rex

Hi,

this is what *I* would call a 'red form' . The 'green forms' never get red, even in the strongest sunlight (maybe lack of anthocyanin ??). If you don't provide enough light to any of these plants, they will all stay green.

Christian

Christian

I have one more foolish question.are the green and green X red form are the commercial product
rock.gif

thanks again!
biggrin.gif

rex

Back