Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byblis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I'm getting the Byblis liniflora from Copper. My question is, if the plant seems to be dying when I get it, what are some emergency propogation techniques I can use? I've heard that you can cut the growth tip off and stick it in the ground and it will root just like a cutting. Any suggestions to reduce shock?

SF

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! Excelent post with a excelent question.
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I do know that if the top of the plant grows too funky that you can cut the top off and the bottom will grow back from the roots.
    But, I don't know if there is anything you can do with the top to produce plants. I wish you much luck! Make sure to let us know how it all goes.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snowy,
    The only thing that comes to my mind, is to use Superthrive like you normally would for transplanting. I really don't know if it would help or hurt though.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, my byblis died from root problems, after flowering once. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] My seedlings are almost an inch!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snowy...I hate to be a doom-sayer but you'll be very lucky if you get those plants alive. Byblis are very fragile plants, don't like root disturbance and the seedlings are just so..."soft", for lack of a better word. This is why you almost never seed Byblis plants or seedlings offered for sale by nurseries. Its almost always seed thats sold. An unhappy Byblis seedling won't last long.

I cannot imagine a cut piece of Byblis would survive just stuck in the ground. However, I haven't tried it so what do I know. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I left my Byblis alone as much as possible...but I didn't have enough plants to experiment with.

Of course I wish you the best of luck there...maybe you can defy the odds. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck...I hope they make it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think dean cook ships byblis, which is kinda strange since no one else ships those plants. Also, I think b. gigantea might be able to handle stuff like shipping, since it can be repotted. of course I've never been able to get one of those. I replanted my really tiny byblis seedlings a couple of times, and 3 out of 6 are alive and happy.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "really tiny" is the key. When they are small, I think you can gently transplant them. Key is...no root disturbance. Seedlings don't have much of a root system.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep PAK, I know my chances. Hopefully, I will beat the odds. That's one of the reasons I posted this, to see if there was anything I could to do to even up the odds a little bit.

SF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast