What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FLOWER

Guess what? Myyyyyyyyyy D. intermedia 'Cuba' is making flowers
biggrin.gif
and it's not even a full grown plant o_O sort of weird since Copper sent it to me as a plantlett less then 2 months ago, but whatever
biggrin.gif
I'm happy. Is anyone else seeing flowers on there plants yet? D. intermedia self pollinate on closing right? I don't need to fuss with it. I'm so excited, I honestly thought it would be another 1-2 years before any of my sundew would be old enough to flower. I'm so happy I could pop!

Yes, they do self pollinate. Mine flowered from seed in as little as 4 months! I was shocked, to say the least. This happy species flowers nonstop for me outside. You might want to prune every other flower stalk though, as it seems to waste the plant away after about 50.
wink.gif

SF

what are the conditions of them are they under lights is the snow outside melting what is the temp do we get to see a picture
JOe

biggrin.gif
cool, I'll remember that SF. Well Joe, since mine is from Cuba, it's not going to go dorment like the northern ones, it should also get to be much larger then northern ones. Because I live in MI, I can't keep it outside (although some day I would like some of the MI native ones so I can). I grow it under lights, 2 cool and 2 warm about 1.5 feet above the plant and they are one a timer that runs from 8am to 9pm. It's not actually planted right now, because I can't find my peat. What I did was sacrafice one of my less successfulll Jiffy 7 peat pellots that I use for propigating extra live sphagnum and mushed it up in a drainage saucer from an old 4" pot. Then I set all of my seedling sundew from Copper in it in a ring formation and labled each ones spot with tally marks in perminet marker. I have a card in front of them that says which is which for when I have soil to plant them in/they are big enough for a pot. The sauser is placed at the bottom of my 10 gallon aquarium next to my highland neps I'd say the daytime temp is in the mid 60's to low 70's from the lights and closer to low 60's at night. I have a reptile waterfall at the opposit end for my Cobra lilly and that in combo with a sheet of glass over the top makes the humidity around 100%.. or at least to the point of fogging up the glass. Anyhow, because it is in pure peat with no drainage in a flat shallow container, I don't water at all as the peat soaks the moisture right out of the air, but I can tell you it is really soupy. About as wet as you can get without pools of liquid.

As soon as I get home for spring break, I'm going to start taking pictures, I just hope I didn't miss the flowers since this thing grows so fast and all.

The one I recently recieved from copper is sending up a stalk tooo!
smile.gif

Back