What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum germination

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I recently obtained some seed of Drosophyllum from the ICPS seed bank. I have been doing some research on how to germinate and grow this plant and it seems that there are many methods to do so.

I currently have the seed soaking in distilled water. I am not sure if I will scarify the seed or not as I have read that this may or may not make a difference. I am leaning towards doing half the seeds with scarification and the other half without.

I would like some advice on what soil mix to use. I have come across a few sites that suggest a 2:1:1 mix of sand, peat, and perlite. I have also come across a mix of 1:1:1 of sand, perlite, and vermiculite. Small stones or pebbles have also been suggested.

I am looking at using a pot size of no smaller than 6 inches in diameter for the inner pot and an 8 inch pot for the outer pot.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick -

I don't know if you saw it or not, but I recently posted a topic in this forum called "Drosophyllum, Young Plant From Seed" that describes what I did. I feel pretty lucky, I got around 5 seeds from Vertigo and 3 sprouted - of which one died and the other 2 are now really nice young plants. Good luck!

WildBill

The seeds soaked in distilled water for 7 days. Mainly because I forgot about them. They were planted on the surface of vermiculite on March 5, 2004. Today, March 19, 2004, I have noticed at least 4 sprouts.

I feel lucky
smile.gif

Here is a photo of one sprout. Its not very good, took it in a hurry.

drosophyllum_sprout.jpg

I got some also from the ICPS seed bank with very good results I used the sand paper method with 4 of 4 sprouting in 14 days. I just planted 2 more.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Today I noticed some leaves forming. Time to get potting.

Yay
biggrin.gif
congrats everyone... I have no clue what plant you are talking about, but it sounds like it is hard to get so congrats all the same ;)

Ok, had a problem with two of the newly germinated seedlings. They died. Not really sure why, as there was no signs of fungus or other disease, just went limp and died.

On a good note, here is a photo of a newly transplanted seedling. I currently have two seedlings.

drosophyllum_sprout_3-21-04top.jpg

drosophyllum_sprout_3-21-04side.jpg

Drosophyllum is commonly known as the dewy pine.

Updated for 3-26-2004

Here is a current photo of one of my two seedlings.

drosophyllum_seedling3-26-04.jpg

Drosophyllum seedling about 1 inch tall.

Another seed has sprouted today as well. Time to get another pot ready.

I had this at last Saturday's NECPS meeting, and thought you guys would like see it (thanks for the photo, Nathan). It's about 6 months old, the tag says 10/27/03 which is when I'd planted the seed.

20040410-CP-Drosophyllum%20lusitanicum-6%20months.jpg

We had a record turnout at the meeting, 39+, including Schloaty!!

WildBill

Sure was! That's a great pic, by the way, but still doesn't do justice to the magesty of Bill's droso. Man, that thing was awesome. I have to get myself some more seeds and try again (I killed my last too seedlings...too wet, I think).

mad.gif
my seeds are almost bone dry even though I'm trying to germinate them and I just ran out of water. anyway good going Nick! pleeease post new photos soon
tounge.gif

Great going nick and bill! You guys make me jealus,why didn`t I subscribe to the icps? Oh yah, thats right I wanted the new Dixie Chicks cd..........next year I`m definately going to join!

Wow! Is that an optical illusion or is that plant really a little over a foot tall? In only six months...nice!

Question for all you Droso growers, is Drosophyllum one to survive with 50% humidity or higher? I want to plant some Droso seed, but I want to slack pot it in it's permanent pot. Well, without a greenhouse I don't have terrarium the size the pot would need to be.

Any suggestions? Could it survive like my sarrs have in the 40% average humidity with a little higher local thanks to my heavy watering?

Hey Odyseus -

That plant is in a 'Cascade Style' clay bonsai pot. The pot is about 8 inches tall and the leaves of the plant are 6 inches long. It's not all that humid around it, it's indoors and sits on a shelf under fluorescent lights. The tips of the leaves almost touch the light bulbs. When it gets warmer here in Connecticut, I plan to move it outdoors. It seemed to grow really fast. I stuck at least 3 fruitflies to each new leaf, maybe that had something to do with it. It's growing faster than my baby Drosera regia.

WildBill

Nice! Thanks for posting that, Wildbill!

Back