What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera esterhuyzenae

My plant originated from seed received from Lowerie and noticed an interesting gowth pattern over the past couple of years that puzzles me.

I grow it inside in a 10 gallon tank with my other South African stuff. Temps are around 75 in the summer and around 58-62 in the winter (there is not much diurnal fluctuation). Medium is peat sand light is 12 hr photoperiod (light is increased to 14 hours every year in June). Over the past two years, the plant dies down in December only to sprout from the roots at the same time.

Other than picturs found on some web sites, I have not seen too much written about it. It seems that this plant needs some sort of resting period. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone else experience this?

If you have kept it alive for two years, you are doing good. I had some tc plants once and i killed them within two weeks.

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 23 2004,08:03)]If you have kept it alive for two years, you are doing good. I had some tc plants once and i killed them within two weeks.

Regards,

Joe
I agree, I must be doing something right - I have acuatlly had the plant over 3 years now...

The problem is that I measure success by having a plant that has actually flowered. That is when I know that I have succeeded. As of yet, I have not yet seen a flower and I would like to get to that point!

Any ideas...

Hi,

What is Drosera esterhuyseniae ? As far as i know, it is not an accepted species.

Christian

Some taxonomists consider it a synonym of D. aliciae, but it looks different and I think it's much harder to grow.

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 23 2004,17:27)]...it looks different and I think it's much harder to grow.

Regards,

Joe
What an understatement!!

Back