Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help. New to sundews...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Capslock.

I'll put them out where they'll get sun.
    I was just afraid that they might need an adjustment period after being shipped and repotted, before I put them in full sunlight. Thought that being out in sun would dry them out even more.

Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably is a good idea to gradually adjust them, but I usually just throw 'em out there, and haven't lost one yet!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome (again)! I agree with Capslock...binatas tend to be sturdy little buggers. One thing you'll learn with this hobby....patience! (nooooooooo!!! ) Give them a little time to adjust, and you'll be amazed what they'll do for you.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While its true you don't want to fry a small plantlet in strong sun, most of the time if a plant is moved into new conditions, the dew dries up for a while and you might even lose some leaves. However, give it time to put up some new growth and it will regain its dew.

Also...if it does appear to die on you...don't give up hope. They will often regenerate from the roots. So don't throw your pot out if it appears dead. Keep it wet and give it some time and you'll probably see new growth appear. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually in my experience when drosera come with no dew, it quickly grows new leaves and the dewless ones die back. The new leaves have tons of dew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Warren,

I haven't been so brave yet. I have all mine indoors still, even though it is more than warm enough outside for them.

I decided to try my hand at propagating from them first and have been met with very good success.

Drosera binata was the first one I purchased last month. There were two plants in the same pot and one of them had a kink in the stem so I cut it off when I got home and placed it in a Dixie cup full of rain water. Within two weeks I noticed nodes forming along the filament side of the leaf and a week later distinguishable new growth could be seen. I left them in water for one more week but noticed some of the new growth was dying so I pulled out the whole thing and cut between the growth points on the old leaf and potted up ten new plants. I have these in a 50/50 mix of peat/sand inside a Dixie cup and just covered it with a piece of Saran Wrap. This pot of new plants is sitting on the ledge of my large Tropical waterlily propagating tank. Each day I look in on the new plants and each day noticeable growth is seen. These ten new plants will be the ones I place outside this summer.

The D. binata has been the most successful so far as a leaf propagator. I have also tried this with D. filliformis 'tracyi', D. adelae and D. binata multifida extrema. D. adelae has not produced anything from leaf yet, filliformis has a few nodes apparent and multifida extrema has two plantlets evident.

I have also tried root cuttings. The ones that have responded so far are D. adelae, multiple plantlets produced from a small section of root and D. binata multifida extrema, two plants produced out of three root cuttings.
    The root cuttings are divided into 1/2 inch sections and layed upon moist Long Fiber Sphagnum. I also place a piece of Saran Wrap on the top of the cup these are in to keep the humidity very high.

I say give this a try, you will be impressed at how easily some of these plants propagate.

Cheers,
    Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. It's encouraging to know that these plants are hardier than they appear. I've placed them in a much sunnier spot (still under a small tree for a little shade) by the pond. Once they start looking better, I'll bring them into full sun.

Sean,
    You and your dixie cups! I guess you have these under growlights?

Folks, if you havn't visited Sean's webpage, I'd encourage that. He has done some amazing things on the watergardenig side, growing tropical waterlilies in dixie cups.

Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Warren,

Thanks for the plug.. lol
    Yes I do have all of these propagating in Dixie Cups under the Metal Halide and they are growing great gangbusters.

Once you have at least five or six leaves on your Sundew try a leaf cutting submerged in water.

The Leaf cutting from the Drosera binata multifida Extrema had two small growth points under water yesterday afternoon so I clipped them off and placed them on moist Long Fiber Sphagnum and there has already been significant growth in only one day.

Cheers,
    Sean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12