Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. New to sundews...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I've had some pitcher plants for a couple years, I'm new to the cp scene. I just joined this forum last week and since then, I've learned more about cp's than I have the entire time I've had my pitchers. Now I'm just glad that I didn't kill them in my ignorance...

I have basically been a water gardener, but one of my fellow ponders offered some staghorn sundew in a trade for some waterlilies. Well, a light bulb went off in my head that I should get into collecting cp's. I was interested in them before anyway, but just hadn't got around to it.

Well, some little staghorn sundew arrived in today's mail from my friend in Maryland. I've been too busy to prepare for their arrival. I rushed out to go buy some peat moss and distilled water. I already have sand. I am going to plant them in a 50/50 mix of peat and sand and water with DI. I am going to have them outside in the yard. Eventually, I would like to have a bog garden, but I'm not quite ready yet.

My question (assuming all the above is OK): is it a good idea to have the potted plant sitting outside with water in the tray? I'm thinking that I could have pots in a tub with a little water at the bottom. This way, the sundew could have their toes wet all the time. I've also read that they like to have the humidity.

thanks,
    Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forked sundews like it very moist and soggy, i usually have the water level at the soil level, then once the water evaporates i leave it for 2 days, then re-fill A 50/50 mix of dry peat and sand is a bit much, i would go with 2 parts peat and one part sand. works MUCH better. good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Spectabilis. I'll go with 65/35 peat/sand.

But when you say you usually have the water at soil level and then let it evaporate, does this mean your pots have no drainage and you flood the plant up to soil level? Do you have your plants outdoors and about how often do you water?

For my solution, I was thinking of a pot with drain holes stuck in a tray with a bit of water at the bottom. These are little plants, so they'd probably be little 4in pots. Either that or 1gallon...

Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Warren,

I grow them in pots about 6 inches deep, and keep the water about an inch or so deep, so well below what Spec does. I'm sure it would work either way, but as long as you don't let it dry out, a shallower water tray will work fine.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Thanks Capslock. That makes me feel better about my idea. I was afraid there might be some potential harm to the plants from sitting in standing water, but I guess not. This will save me a little bit of worries from having the plants dry out because I missed a watering.

Warren

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Warren

Welcome to the forums. Glad you discovered our CP community. I'm also glad you're giving the sundews (drosera) a go. They are my personal favorites.

A lot of CPers do water gardening....bogs and ponds. You might be interested then in trying utricularia (bladderworts). They have beautiful flowers.

I grow my D. binatas in a mix of long-fiber sphagnum moss and peat. Its an airier mix than peat and sand. People tend to develop their own taste in soil mixes. Mine are also kept pretty wet.

They are real bug catchers.

Good luck and I hope you stick around. You'll get addicted no doubt...just like the rest of us.

Suzanne/PAK
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome Suzanne.

I'm afraid for my sundew though. It looks like its dew (what are they called are drying out). I've had them outside in an area sheltered by the house for now so they are in shade. They are rather small (1in-4in tall), but looked like they had made it OK thru the mail. I think once I got them outside though they started drying out. If I had a mister I'd use that. Havn't had time to go out and get one...

It did drizzle a little this morning. I'm hoping that will help somewhat.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, water will wash the dew from the leaves. Don't worry too much about your plant; they usually have a short adjustment period to new conditions. The dew will return, but not by spraying! I never mist mine, and they do great and are full of dew.

Make sure that you get some light onto them. My forked 'dews grow in full sun for about half the day. They need sun!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast