Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pygmy Summer Survival Tips...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone offer some Summer Survival Tips for growing Pygmies in the summer as temps rise?

Thanks.
    'He who sees things from the beginning will have the finest view of them' Aristotle 384-322 AD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pm tamlin dawnstar, he is a god when it comes to pygmies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mcrwt644 @ Mar. 28 2004,3:47)]pm tamlin dawnstar, he is a god when it comes to pygmies...
    He isn't on PFT anymore...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give the plants shading during the summer. Some of the species will go dormant with the long photoperiod. In this case, keep the soil on the dry side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my plants SLIGHTLY moist during the summer. I got some slight die-back this past year, but they were fine come fall.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there are summer sensitive species to be sure. These are hopefully in a sandy mix and in deeper pots which will allow moisture to remain deep within where the long roots will take advantage of it, while at the same time allowing the surface to be nearly dry. Watering is best done from the bottom of the pot by immersion for 5 or 10 mins. in a couple of inches of water, then removing the pot to drain.

Potential dormancy is observable by the formation of the typical cone of white stipules in the plants center. Once this becomes evident, the plants should no longer sit in the water tray. As CPk2 states, some shade is advisable at this time: the plants require very little when not in active growth.

At this tiime, many species start looking rather ratty, and it's easy to forget them, but they will continue to require your observation and attention. Losses can come from either the pot being kept too wet, or also too dry. Expect some losses, this is natural and pretty much unavoidable.

Removal of the flowering scapes also may be recommended, as per the advice of Mastergrower Vic Brown. It's a sacrifice during the flowering season to be sure, but I always select a few rosettes and remove their scapes as they form, leaving the others to present their very beautiful flowers.

Bringing these plants through the summer dormancy is always a challenge for me. This season I am trying the more sensitive ones in a lighter mix with liberal perlite (thanks CPk2) and I hope to have better survival rates.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou Tamlim and all!
    'He who sees things from the beginning will have the finest view of them' Aristotle 384-322 AD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pygmies particularly the D. Pulchella and Pulchella cross Nitidula are showing signs of die back and dormancy. I keep the soil to the degree of wet Tamlin is talking about...but what should I do concerning the fact that they are on a 15 hour artificial light photo period? Lessen the length of photperiod or aim the light away to give the effect of some shade?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast