What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

String of sundews???

My sundew has a root type thing that has 5 baby sundews on it. What are those?

Could you be more specific abot the root type thing? Where did you get it? I have seen D. adelae, D. spatulata, D. capensis - all very different looking plants from each other - form plantlets.

It would also help to get a description of the plant itself. Do you know what sundew it is? If not, could give some details on what the plant looks like (size, color, shape [upright, rosette], leave shape, etc.)? Where did you get it from?

I'm guessing it might be D. adelae as they produce new plants easily from their roots, but really need more of a description to be sure.

I think its a D. adelae.

Well, now you have more D. adlae. It's the experience of most people who successfully grow this plant that they have LOTS of them before long. Just clip 'em off with as much root as you can and pot 'em up! Give 'em to your friends! Trade them!

Capslock

How big should they be before i clip them? You can just leave them there if you want to right?

Sure! You can leave them there. I usually have a couple submerged in my water tray. I usually clip mine off when they get a inch and a half or so long leaves.

Capslock

When you put them in the water tray are they already clipped?

THX

Another strategy is to simply bring the roots (if long enough) to the surface where the new plantletts can receive light. They will soon grow and send down new roots of their own.

I grow my D. adelae in a bowl, and this encourages this type of behavior since the sloping sides of the bowl allows the roots to reach the surface without any action on my part.

I thiunk he was saying that the roots grow out of the bottom of the pot and produce plantlets in the tray.

Ah. Yeah, bringing them back through the holes wouldn't work. Sorry, my bad.

Back