User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. Binata about to flower

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this plant has just finished flowering about 40 flowers already and it is sending up a new stalk, it didn't produce any seeds so should i cut it off? The plant must be so exausted after all those flowering and im afraid it would die after another 40. Flowering takes up a whole lot of energy right?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey MODS I posted this in the wrong board can you help me move it to the SUNDEW board? thanks sorry about this mistake
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flower takes up some energy, but seed production takes up a lot more! Luckily for you (or maybe not, if you were hoping for seed) binata is not self-fertile, requireing two clones to produce seeds. If you haven't noticed a distinct cut-back in growth or overall health, then the flower is just a sign of a healthy mature plant and you don't need to worry. If you want to see more flowers, leave it there. If you don't, cut it off.

hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah are you gonna send the genlisea soon?
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I always let my D. binata flower. The flowers are beautiful, and the plant seems totally unaffected by either flowering or seed set (some varities do self seed I believe). In any event, given good cultivation, flowering is not a problem with this species.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a self-fertile, auto-pollinating D. binata "var. dichotoma." Every one of my outdoor pots has at least three of these things in it. My plants came from an ICPS seed bank donation labeled D. binata in '00 or '01.