Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D. burmannii flower puzzle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzanne,

I would like to chime in that those are really excellent pics you took.

Regards,

Joe

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe. I've always loved the photo of the parent plant. If I ever get a better camera...I'll be dangerous.

I feel confident that the parent plant is D. burmannii as are the pot of 5. My sessilifolia, while similar, do not look the same especially in size. They are currently flowering and are separated from the burmannii.

The parent plant of the 5 I received, not as seed, but as a young plant perhaps 1" in size. It grew to about 2", flowered and produced the current plants.

Assuming the plants are burmannii as they appear to be...then wouldn't the white flowered plants be the typical form ("regular colored plants") and not an albino form? And the pink would be the anomaly?

I will try to get a pic of an open flower but that's hard to do since I'm at work most of the day. Plus the flower will be hard to photograph with my camera's poor focusing on small objects. I'll try though. Might be able to draw it better than photograph one IF I can catch a bud open.

I'd really like to know why the flowers are pink if they are typically white. And if the seed from the pink flowers will make pink-flowered plants. Of course I can find that out once I sow the seed and get plants.

Thanks for your thoughts everybody.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below is the plant and flowers that I got as a volunteer from William that I was calling D. sessilifolia because the flowers were pink. Sorry that the photos are a bit out of focus and the pink color is washed out.

A different volunteer plant (below) came up in another pot that had white flowers and green tentacles, which I have been calling D. burmanni. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the flower, but the flowers were white and the scape was green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first three pics look like D. sessilifolia to me. The last one looks like D. burmannii. But I'm far from being any expert.

The pink color on my burmannii is a very strong pink...not a light pink like in your photos Bob. Nice looking plants though.

--------

edit: Update...my first D. burmannii's origin goes back to Joao Roberto Gabbardo in Brazil. Joao sent D. burmannii to William Dawnstar and William sent me my plant.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... this is getting even more suspicious. Your D.burmannii came from Joao in Brazil, home of D.sessilifolia... Could it be it got "tainted" in his collection and we're seeing some introgressed character??

Fernando Rivadavia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With introgression of that sort...is it typical that the seeds of the parent plant would produce both white and pink flowers? I would assume my current Pot of 5 is the third generation down from Joao's plant with no other exposure to sessilifolia.

I guess I assumed a single plant would produce seed of one or the other color but not both. But I guess the DNA would be different for each seed.

Been a looong time since I've studies genetics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't some D. burmannii forms have pink flowers? If I remember correctly, the plants from Bangalore, India have both scapes and flowers that are about the same color as those from D. sessilifolia. Aren't there pink-flowered plants in Australia too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, there are a number of pink flowered forms of D. burmannii found in different areas of the world, e.g. the form discovered by Robert Gibson in Southeast Australia dubbed "Pilliga Red" which I have never cultivated.

The plant in question came from seed which (I believe) was sent to my by my friend in Brazil. It is not D. sessilifolia which I can recognize as distinct from any D. burmannii that I cultivate, both by its lamina and its overall size. At the time I received the plant, neither my friend or I cultivated this species. So whatever this is, it is not D. sessilifolia.

However, there is a remote possibility that the D. burmannii "red tentacle" form (which as ALWAYS flowered white for me) may have been visited by a pollinator that also visited the D. sessilifolia (which is invariably pink flowered), and this is an example of Drosera x theocalyx. Since Drosera pollen is not airborne, this would be the only way I could account for the pink flowers. I do not cultivate any other pink flowered D. burmannii. The plant I sent to PAK was in all ways D. burmannii and not D. sessilifolia. The mendellian ratio Darcie noted of white to pink flowers makes me suspicious that this unlikely event may have happened.

I am currently checking with my friend in Brazil to confirm that the original material I grew from seed originated from his collection as I believe it did.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast