Thread: Drosera brevifolia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William,

Ivan reported pink flowers on his D. intermedia from Mt. Roraima, Venezuela
    to the CP Listserv a few months ago.

Even though D. brevifolia is an annual in the wild, I think it can last a lot longer indoors. The rosette shot above is of an approximately two year old plant that has set seed numerous times. Currently, it's growing better than ever. I have a 3 month old pot next to it that is suffering from the aforementioned fungus-infection-like symptoms. Seems strange. I'll have to try it outdoors.

So far, the 'EverGrow' I've grown germinate, flower and set seed in rapid succession, then recede into a sickly stupor. I wouldn't call it a dormancy; they still produce small, underdeveloped leaves. I've tossed them onto the compost pile at that point. Most of my experimentation with this form has been carried out on a sandy, alkaline media which probably skewed the results. I'm growing my current batch in sphagnum.

My best 'EverGrow' filled a 2 in. pot in less than six months, so they're definitely worth a try, IMO.

Thanks, and good luck with the cuttings. Would you like a leaf from the D. capillaris x rotundifolia? They strike easily in water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No kidding, a pink flowered D. intermedia! Will wonders never cease! I imagine it would be a light pink?

Thanks for the offer of the leaf, but I will pass on that. I am trying to not accept the many offers for things that I receive , until I have means to reciprocate. Mostly, that is. I am human after all. I find that I can no longer remember whom I owe what to, and it wouldn't do to see my name in the deadbeat trader section!

I like D. 'Evergrow' which demonstrated the fastest Drosera seed germination I have ever encountered: 11 hrs. from seed to plant! These plants need to have a chat with their Aussie tuberous cousins to let them know how civil plants should behave. Ivan mentioned he had seed germinate while still in the pod, so he has me beat.

Regarding the fungus prone nature of D. brevifolia (and fungus prone species in general) the routine use of fungicides should be discouraged. Fungicide should always be used as a last ditch effort, otherwise a grower does little more than select for more resistant fungi.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thats some fast germination! I thought papaya seeds germinateing in 24 hours was quick!

On the use of fungicides I agree, I also think that people should stop useing antibacterial soap(unless they were in contact with infectious bacteria) since the same resistence selection happens when you use these, they kill off 99.9% of germs BUT that other .1% is now imune~ And can spred its imunity to other un related germs by exchangeing genetic material ( an odd form of "reproduction" many bacteria engage in in wich they give other species of bacteria there genetic superioritys.)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes siriee bub! What we are doing is breeding more resistent strains. Not a very good plan.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12