What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera brevifolia

Hi,

How variable is Drosera brevifolia? It grows throughout the southeast - Texas, Florida, etc, a range that should produce quite a variety of characteristics. I have a variant from Hampstead, (Edit: NC). that is quite pretty, and turns blood red if given enough light. Are plants from other locations different in shape, color, size, or flower?

Here is my D. brevifolia 'Hampstead, (Edit: NC)':

brevifolia.sized.jpg

brevifolia_2.sized.jpg

Sorry about my handwriting, Noah. It's Hampstead, North Carolina. There isn't a Hampstead in Florida.

I don't know how variable the species is, but sure would like to try some other forms! I've heard of and seen pictures of plants with long scapes, but otherwise the species doesn't seem to get much attention.
P1010018.sized.jpg

P1010012.sized.jpg

P1010028.jpg

Forbes, if you have an extra can we work it into our trade?

Drosera brevifolia is quite variable from my experience in growing various members of different populations. The one in your photo is what I regard as a good typical representative, as demonstrated by the nice short glandular scape and the large flower.

Sure, Rose. I'll send you one.

Did you get the PM I sent yesterday?

It's good to see you back on the board, William. Do you know where the plants with long scapes hail from?

No Forbes, I don't. I have a couple of forms of D. brevifolia, and I strongly suspect one is a hybrid with D. capillaris, but am uncertain of its origin. I did cultivate the hybrid Ivan produced, but it died off. Later I noticed some stray seedlings had the large flowers and stalked retentive glands associated with D. brevifolia, but the flowers have a light pink cast to them, and the scapes are much longer than what I would regard as typical for this species. Most of the typical scapes I have seen have been notably short, and with few flowers. Right now, the plants are looking ratty, as is often the case with any D. brevifolia but if and when they perk up I'll post some photos.

Do you cultivate Ivan's hybrid as mentioned above, and if so, can you tell me if it has the slightly pinkish flowers? I hesitate to redistribute this seed, since I can't be positive that it is D. brevifolia.

Most of what I have grown has its origin in Hampstead, NC from seed distributed through Ivan. I have recently sown seed from Salinas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil and look forward to compariing this with the NC form.

It's good to know that my D. brevifolia aren't alone in their habit of occasionally going dew-less and ugly. I'd like to find out if the "problem" exists in nature. It doesn't seem to be related to air circulation - when two pots are adjacent, one may be affected while the other appears normal. I don't think it's from thrips or spider mites either as I haven't found evidence of the critters on any of my D. breviflolia.

I haven't seen either of Ivan's D. brevifolia hybrids (brevifolia x capillaris or brevifolia x rotundifolia). If anyone is growing them (or D. brevifolia x intermedia), I have a D. capillaris Pasco Giant, Pasco Co. Fl x rotundifolia 'EverGrow' for trade.

Perhaps your plant is a hybrid with a pink-flowered D. intermedia. ;)

Forbes,

I have never seen or heard of a pink flowered D. intermedia in all my born days. Wouldn't that be cool though!

D. brevifolia is regarded as an annual, growing well enough in cooler months and then going ratty and usually dying off after seed set. Keeping the plant less wet although still under cultivation often finds it regrowing from the roots in cooler weather. It seems to be a fungus prone species as well, which may account for the dewless condition.

Did your "Evergrow" go dormant? All my plants do. I have several of old Bushtucker's hybrids, but so far I haven't been able to reproduce them. I will try some leaf cuttings this season, and will keep you in mind if they strike.

William,

Ivan reported pink flowers on his D. intermedia from Mt. Roraima, Venezuela
to the CP Listserv a few months ago.

Even though D. brevifolia is an annual in the wild, I think it can last a lot longer indoors. The rosette shot above is of an approximately two year old plant that has set seed numerous times. Currently, it's growing better than ever. I have a 3 month old pot next to it that is suffering from the aforementioned fungus-infection-like symptoms. Seems strange. I'll have to try it outdoors.

So far, the 'EverGrow' I've grown germinate, flower and set seed in rapid succession, then recede into a sickly stupor. I wouldn't call it a dormancy; they still produce small, underdeveloped leaves. I've tossed them onto the compost pile at that point. Most of my experimentation with this form has been carried out on a sandy, alkaline media which probably skewed the results. I'm growing my current batch in sphagnum.
smile.gif

My best 'EverGrow' filled a 2 in. pot in less than six months, so they're definitely worth a try, IMO.

Thanks, and good luck with the cuttings. Would you like a leaf from the D. capillaris x rotundifolia? They strike easily in water.

No kidding, a pink flowered D. intermedia!  Will wonders never cease!  I imagine it would be a light pink?

Thanks for the offer of the leaf, but I will pass on that.  I am trying to not accept the many offers for things that I receive , until I have means to reciprocate.  Mostly, that is.  I am human after all.  I find that I can no longer remember whom I owe what to, and it wouldn't do to see my name in the deadbeat trader section!

I like D. 'Evergrow' which demonstrated the fastest Drosera seed germination I have ever encountered: 11 hrs. from seed to plant!  These plants need to have a chat with their Aussie tuberous cousins to let them know how civil plants should behave.  Ivan mentioned he had seed germinate while still in the pod, so he has me beat.

Regarding the fungus prone nature of D. brevifolia (and fungus prone species in general) the routine use of fungicides should be discouraged. Fungicide should always be used as a last ditch effort, otherwise a grower does little more than select for more resistant fungi.

Wow thats some fast germination! I thought papaya seeds germinateing in 24 hours was quick!

On the use of fungicides I agree, I also think that people should stop useing antibacterial soap(unless they were in contact with infectious bacteria) since the same resistence selection happens when you use these, they kill off 99.9% of germs BUT that other .1% is now imune~ And can spred its imunity to other un related germs by exchangeing genetic material ( an odd form of "reproduction" many bacteria engage in in wich they give other species of bacteria there genetic superioritys.)

Yes siriee bub! What we are doing is breeding more resistent strains. Not a very good plan.

Back