Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Different forms of D.spatulata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William,
    Aha! So YOU'RE who designated that AWC label on my spats that Vertigo (Owen) sent me! Boy, they're cute little buggers. I forget their label number, though. I'll have to check.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty,

These days I am not sure of much, but, yes, 'twas I. Other D. spatulata designations form my collection are AWM1, PTC1, and AWK1.

It is argueable that these designations are in fact useful, since they do allow for seggregation and discussion of their varied forms. Since all were received as seed supposedly of other species, there is no other means of seggregating them for purposes of discussion. I don't feel they are distinct enough to warrant publications as cultivars, so although the use is illegitimate, it is still useful, at least in a limited trade circle. Carnibank (which I support with my seed donations) evidently agress, since they have kept the designations intact. It is up to the individual as to whether or not they want to keep them , or simply drop them.

My objections to illegitimate naming are when a grower assigns an incorrect species name and then appends false collection data to it, which is a whole other ball of knots than adding descriptors in "double quotes". Anything written like this, e.g. Drosera capensis "Giant", has to be taken with a large grain of salt. No legitimately published material will ever appear in this form.

Now I am seeing plants circulating of D. spatulata "Auyan Tepui" which is a real goof since D. spatulata is an Indo/Australian species. To my mind, if someone has material that might be considered consonant with other Brazillian species, they should in fact rename it, since "Sp. Auyan Tepui" now has a bad reputation!

It really is a moot point. The only folk that really care about these things are those involved in academic studies, and none such would ever use material lacking known location data, or shouldn't!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic is very intersting until now, anyone with more different forms??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinguiculaman has one from Hong Kong that is a beautiful miniature form which should be published as a cultivar very soon in the CPN: "Ruby Slippers".
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ April 07 2004,8:00)]Thanks for the spelling correction Sean, I have ammended my growlist.

I just had my first look at the Gympie form of D. spatulata from photos just sent to me by Robert Gibson. The flower on this form is very surprising in its size, and I wish I had a higher resolution photo of it to share. Sometimes I think Robert is telepathic. It's almost like he knew of this topic.

Regarding D. spatulata "lovellae" growers of this form should check their flowers to make sure the syle and ovaries of their plants are in groups of four, and not three as is common with this species.

Pondboy, please note that The “Kansai” Form = D. tokaiensis, not the "Kanto" form as your post states.
    Look at my post again. I stated "and finaly D.tokaiensis(aka. D.spatulata "kansai",D.rotundifolia x spatulata "kanto").
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a horible outdated pic of D.spat#1[img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/D.spat1.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123