Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera Seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my burmanni seeds on pure peat in 2" plastic containers, covered them with an upside down drinking glass and they germinated within four days.
    Unfortunately I sowed the seeds too close together and I now have about a hundred little guys growing so close together that it will be darn near impossible to seperate them. Any ideas as how to seperate them and what size should they be when I try it.
    Heck, I'm going out and take pics of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't the greatest photo in the world since my camera had no idea which plant to focus on but here is my plethora?...flock?...covey?...herd?...anyway, a whole bunch of burmanni. They are two weeks old and no larger than the head of a pin. I have two containers of these little cuties.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, that's exactly what my burmannii look like - a mass of green seedlings. Prolific little buggers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you transplant them as soon as possible, Lauderdale, before they get intertwining leaves and root systems. Then, it's a pain!

SF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you suggest transplanting them - and don't say carefully?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, here's an idea - right out of P. man's page. Take the whole thing and shock them by putting them in a container of DI water. After they separate from each other, place them in new containers, an inch a part. Saturate the container and keep a lid on them for a few days. The strong will survive. The idea is tp keep them moist at all times while they are in shock - just like when they are shipped from Nebraska to everywhere - in moistened paper towels. I'm never at a loss for experimentation - but I have a lot of Edison experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a pair of pointed wooden dowels and carefully separated each seedling. I poked a small hole in the new media and carefully inserted each individual plant. Worked for me.

I like the soaking in water idea, but I feel too many would be lost. As you try and get one out, the other gets buried in the tidal wave of media you create. It could work if you were gentle enough, or the seedlings were big enough to find again.

SF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the seeds I have received this was far the most prolific! Did you saturate the new media and keep it covered for a few days? Are they as easy as plucking spats and just placing them on new media?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast