Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera Seeds

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have redeived a variety of seeds, mostly Drosera within the past two months. I have them in several plastic boxes from discarded pipette tip dispensers. They have an inner container that have 100 1'4" diameter holes to house the tips. I just take it and invert it and have an instant mini open tray with drainage. The outer compartment fits around it and has a lid that can either be propped open or sealed for humidity. since I am dealing with seeds, I keep it covered, on a window sill. It has taken 4 weeks to two months to see germination. I'm sure there are several variables as to why (light, warmth, viability, etc..) Seeds I have almost given up on are just now germinating. It REALLY requires patience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of it depends on the freshness of the seeds also, I have found that older drosera seeds take months to germinate, while freshly harvested ones take only a matter of weeks. I think the seeds life span isn't very long due to their small stature.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had tuberous drosera that took four years to germinate. Giving them their wet, bone dry seasons too. I was going to dump the whole thing when d. macranthra, d. ramellosa, and d. platypoda decided to make an appearance. I took them to a CP society meeting, where macranthra and platypoda sprouted legs and walked out the door. That was nine years ago. I still have the ramellosa's. I hope whoever borrowed my babies knew what they were doing. I'd hate to think all that time germinating them was wasted.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed, that's really bad! Swiped! Pilfered! Nicked! Unreal how some people can be so selfish.

Jim,
    No doubt. They really can take a while. I never throw out a pot of sown seeds. If I really need the pot, I'll just sow OTHER seeds in there, too. I try to make sure I don't mix seeds from the same genus, though, just for the sake of avoiding confusion. I was getting rather impatient with my nep seeds (which STILL haven't germinate, over a year later....probably toast), so I threw in some sar seeds and drosera seeds.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pygmyies are just blooming and I planted them about 2 months ago. And a couple other Drosera's are hatching as well (2 months old). It seems that I have the quickest germination time I've found is Dionaea seeds (which took about a month)
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had vft seeds germinate in under 10 days....but they were VERY fresh. I'm quite sure that's why they were so fast.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience is a real virtue when it comes to seed germination. I germinated seed sent to me of a supposedly invialble D. graminifolia from Caraca, Brazil that was poorly stored for 4 years. It took over a year. The same thing happened with D. montana var tomentosa: well over a year. So it's not just the Australian species that are reluctant germinators. I would say a year is the minimum period before you can even think of giving up hope.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    No doubt. They really can take a while. I never throw out a pot of sown seeds. If I really need the pot, I'll just sow OTHER seeds in there, too. I try to make sure I don't mix seeds from the same genus, though, just for the sake of avoiding confusion. I was getting rather impatient with my nep seeds (which STILL haven't germinate, over a year later....probably toast), so I threw in some sar seeds and drosera seeds.[/quote]
    That's exactly how I intend to deal with the last remaining holdovers. Thanx!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast