What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera 'Tamlin'

My cultivar Drosera 'Tamlin' has been published in this month's UK Society Journal. Imagine that! I never thought it would really happen.

Wahooey! Congratulations Tamlin, how does it feel to be the proud originator of a new cultivar? I look forward both to seeing pictures of this plant and to actually growing it myself.
biggrin.gif

SF

Nice! Congrats Mr. Dawnstar! It must feel weird to have a plant named for you! Well, you've earned it.

Now, about getting it into cultivation....

Capslock
tounge.gif

Got a pic?
smile.gif

Congrats!!!

Hi William,

Congratulations on having your cultivar published - I have the article in the journal in front of me as I type, an excellent article (and a nice full-size colour photo of D. spatulata 'Tamlin' on the back cover). It's "domed" appearance is very distinctive. Now all you need to do is distribute it! I see according to the article that it comes true from seed - does anyone here in the UK yet have it, do you know?

Anyway, once again, congrats!

You mean I actually made the COVER??? Well, back cover! I sure wish I could get a copy of this, there must be a way. Wow! The plant *may* be in cultivation here and there. I sent out 20 or so packets of seed, but as far as I know, only one forum member actually is known to be growing it, and he is in the UK. The plant may also be in cultivation in the UK at Triffid Nurseries, but I am unsure. Now that the name is legit, I will undertake a dedicated distribution program, and hope to provide it first to both the ICPS seedbank and Carnibank. MAybe I cant tour the world, but I hope my cultivar can.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. This was mostly an exercise in learning the ropes in regards to cultivar publication: a very simple and straightforward process, and a doff of the hat to all the sundew expert friends that found its form somewhat amibguious. Ivan Snyder was the first to nail the species as D. spatulata per the seed testa, with Robert Gibson confirming this once he had a look at it.

Well grown plants are the largest D. spatulata I have ever seen. The plant is actually semi-upright after it ages a bit, leading some to speculate its origin was in South Africa. It had me fooled too until it flowered.

Now that the plant is published, international registration with the ICBN will follow, at which point Tamlin will be immortalized (not bad for "hippie boy", lol and I hope the Tamlin Hate Club appreciates this irony). It is exciting to think that the same institution that has maintained and governed plant names since Linneaus' day will now conserve this name as well, and that centuries after I am gone, the name will continue. Now I don't need a tombstone!

My favorite photo of the plant was not suitable for publication, but I will get it onto some webspace and put the photo up when I do. For some reason photos from my webspace will not post here at TF until picked up by Bob Z.

Incidently, for those not subscribing to the society journal, the plant name was not coined by me. I had posted it to a private Japanese BBS while trying to figure out what it was. Seed was originally sent as D. montana var tomentosa "Very Hairy", which it plainly was not. Some growers on the BBS joked that I had discovered a new species: Drosera tamlinosa. I decided to humor them, and tried to use this name, but was informed by Dr. Schlauer that Latinizations were reserved for true species publication. So, it reverted to simply Drosera 'Tamlin'.

I have another awaiting publication in the ICPN: Drosera 'Rhodesian Beauty', so stay tuned ;-) and I am planning on publishing Drosera 'Suzy-Q' a very beautiful D. spatulata variety named after our own most dear Plant-A-Kiss once I am convinced it is character is stable, (and PAK I am not insinuating anything by that comment so please don't give me another square!).

Guess I can pop the cork on that champagne now.

Congratulations Tamlin,

The first of many I hope. One day you may need to run me through the process. I hope so anyway.

Sean.

Congrats! That must be hard to repot with the curved leafs Lol.
Btw the U.subulata you sent me is doing great,and some drosera sprouted in there to I wonder what they are? The d.palacea ssp.1 is dieing:(

Woohee!!!  Great job!  Hurray!  A celebration is being planned.  And I can say I knew you when...  you were just a skinny young hippie.  
laugh.gif

Congratulations Tamlin
"God" of Drosera:D

rex

Rex,

I didn't create the plant, but thanks for for the promotion from MOD to GOD. My first act as GOD is to make you into a nice guy.

Now go look in the mirror.

See? It worked!

Pondboy,

The seedlings are likely to be D. spatulata "Kansai".

Who created it?
Looks like D.intermidiate to me...was it a parent of the cultivar?
(or maybe cuz thats the only Dosera I know well enough...
biggrin.gif

Jason

It doesn't really look like a Drosera intermedia. Not at all actually.

Sean.

Jason,

The plant is not a hybrid, and was not man made. It is Drosera spatulata. So, I guess either evolution or God created it, depending on your viewpoint.

Sorry for the late reply, but a big Conrats from me William!

Cole
smile.gif

Back