User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Don't throw out your "dead" dews!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I thought my sundew didn't make it through dormancy since it looked like the dormant bud rotted. I didn't want to throw it away so i sat it on top of a tub of moist growing medium. Then today I was potting up some new plants I got and I saw that it had started growing!! Here's a pic:

-buckeye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photo doesn't show, but I see in my crystal ball that it is a D. filiformis form, am I right?

Other species also have this capability, especially the South African forms. Whenever a sundew looks dead, I remove it from tray watering, but I keep the pot. This has served me very well many times.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pic isn`t working for me either
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar situation with my first sundew I ever had, D. adelae. It seemed to have a melt down, everything above the soil was dead. I pulled the dead plant out of the pot and left the pot outside. A month or so later I was surprised to see new plants growing out of the pot from the roots.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do you keep them moist? Im gonna try to revive my D. spatula. I recently removed the roots and tossed them in with the D. adelae until I figure out what to do with them.

Now I know! LOl
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Tamlin you're right it is a filliformis!! Good guess! The picture shows up on my computer but apparently the free hosting site I'm using won't allow it to show up on other people's computers. Usually I use the space PFT gave us for my pics but since it's down I can't. You can see it if you go to my growlist on my website. Here's a link to my growlist: My growlist
    Once you're there scroll down to sundews and click on D. fillformis fillformis.

-buckeye

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so right Buckeye. My filliformis did exactly the same thing. It went dormant in early September and the hibernacula turned all brown and I was sure it was dead. But thanks to Tamlins advice, I held onto it and cut back the water and sure enough it was one of the first plants to break dormancythis spring. Now I even have a flower scape comming up

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I was sure mine was dead....Now did I throw it away? That is the question! I'll have to check when I get home.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!