Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera adelea self propagating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AGH! DARN IT! I was so hyped that this was new. I had posted on this boards and no one knew what I was talking about, I looked for info on this happening and couldn't find it. Has anyone named this phenominon or written articles on it?
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its called, vegetative reproducion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. adelae do the same thing. They grow like crazy from root cuttings!! I bought one sorry looking plant from Lowes and I now have four pots overflowing with plants! Dump your pots, split those plants and you'll have more than you know what to do with. Great gifts for kids, friends, fellow cpers, etc. Mine seem to bloom when the temps in my basement start to warm up in the spring. Flower stalks are poping up all over. You have to love easy plants like these!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Glenn @ April 16 2004,7:18)]My D. adelae do the same thing. They grow like crazy from root cuttings!! I bought one sorry looking plant from Lowes and I now have four pots overflowing with plants! Dump your pots, split those plants and you'll have more than you know what to do with. Great gifts for kids, friends, fellow cpers, etc. Mine seem to bloom when the temps in my basement start to warm up in the spring. Flower stalks are poping up all over. You have to love easy plants like these!
    Easy? Not everybody has had that experience. I also got mune from Lowes and it has been producing green leaf after green leaf.... as well as plantlets from old leaves and possibly from the roots. Would love to see some flowers. What are your growing conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not missing much. They are not the most attractive Drosera flowers you will see. I remove my flower buds as soon as they appear. You can't get seeds from them (rarely anyway) and they don't look very nice so I don't bother.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I have to disagree slightly with you Sean (in my personal preferences at least!) in that I find the flowers of Drosera adelae quite attractive - like arching sprays of little red stars, bright crimson when the sun is behind them (dark red otherwise), especially when they flower in winter when there is little else of colour (at least here!). Pure Red is also not a common flower colour for Drosera species. I wouldn't have thought the non-red colour flower forms (which are difficult to find at least in the UK) were so attractive - are those the forms you're referring to? I quite like the D.adelae flowers anyway! But as you say, usually (there are occasional exceptions) you don't get seed unless you cross-pollinate 2 separate clones. Anyway Jim, let them flower at least once, you might like them!
    Kind regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I&#39;m mainly interested in Drosera, Dionaea & Aldrovanda, Hardy Orchids (esp Dactylorhiza), Arums and Ericas (Heaths/Heathers - European + S.African)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay Matt, point taken. I guess if you haven't seen the flowers of the plant before it definitely is worth letting the plant flower to see for yourself. Red is a very unusual flower colour for any CP let alone a Drosera.

I have plants with both red and pale flowers. The pale flowered plants don't do anything for me at all. The bright red flowers I guess could be considered attractive, especially when the first couple open up. In my opinion they become less attractive as the flower stem lengthens and the older remains of flowers persist. I think if the flowers were larger they would have much more of an impact.

I find that when my plants flower they do so profusely and the plants begin to look a little messy. An individual flower close up though could be considered quite attractive. Pity they are not larger.

Anyway Jim, don't listen to me. Give the flowers a go and see if you like them. Hopefully your plants will produce some for you.

When I think about it I sounded a bit like a non-Drosera lover (couldn't think of a better term than that) in my last post. Heaven forbid that should ever happen! Please don't chastise me Tamlin it won't happen again .

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt eh? I like the name - could get used to it I s'pose!

Seriously, I know what you mean about the "untidiness" of older flowering scapes on D.adelae, so it may be a good idea to cut off flower stems after they've been in flower say for a month, also helps save energy for the plant. I find that sometimes my plants will look weaker after a mass flowering, and sometimes even go dormant (the rosettes above ground can die off), though this is not usually the case, and they always return from new shoots from the roots and runners even if that does happen.

Talking of Red Drosera flowers, looking at "Carnivorous Plants of Australia" Volume 1 (book by Allen Lowrie), Drosera microphylla has beautiful glossy red flowers: I would love to try growing that species sometime!
    Kind regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I&#39;m mainly interested in Drosera, Dionaea & Aldrovanda, Hardy Orchids (esp Dactylorhiza), Arums and Ericas (Heaths/Heathers - European + S.African)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast