Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drosera adelea self propagating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Adam, don't know where the name Matt came from. I'll blame it on tiredness. Too many hours spent on the forums and not enough sleep.

I prefer to have healthy looking plants rather than flowers so that is another reason I remove them. Each inflorescence can flower for an incredibly long time and by the time they finish they can be quite long and unsightly as well as energy sapping.

I've seen Drosera microphylla flowering in WA but it wasn't the red flowered form unfortunately. The one I saw grew in a thin layer of soil on top of granite near Esperance. The flowers were a pale pink colour with a darker, pinky red centre. Still a very attractive plant though. The plants were completely red and grew in masses at the base of large boulders. They grew along with U. menziesii in very moist, seepy soils.

Once again sorry. I won't get the name wrong again I feel stupid now!

Sean.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys - "Let it flower?" I'd love to - if only I knew how. I bought mine from Lowes on November and I'v sice moved it out of the platic cube thing it came in, to give it more "elbow room." Here are its conditions: The temps have been in the 60's and 70's. It is facing an east window, not open tray, watered twice a week, and covered loosley, trying to maintain humidity but allow for air circulation. It has produced ~10 plantlets that grow ever so slowly. What do I do to induce flowering? I've seen the pictures of the flowers in a book. they are pretty, but I understand that they are also tiny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my plants in 8" square pots in pure LFS. They are in my grow room in the basement under a 1000 watt metal halide with a humidifier keeping the RH around 65% + to 90% +

They like it wet and humid from my experience. I do not water from above but grow them using the try method.

Get your plants out of the nasty moss that the lowes plants come in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, Tray method. I guess you could say I grow all my plants using the try method.

Temps 60-80 deg F

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim.

Sorry 'bout that - got a bit sidetracked!

Anyway, I agree with Glenn - you may want to repot your plants into fresh compost. You can use either 50:50 Peat + Sand, or equal parts Peat + Sand + Perlite, or pure Sphagnum Moss (living or chopped - some Perlite mixed in is optional). Basically Drosera adelae likes an "open" yet moisture-retentive mix. Also, like Glenn, I stand my plants in a tray or saucer of rainwater / "soft" water rather than water from above. The other conditions (temp and light) sound ok (this species will grow well anywhere between 10C [50F] and 25C [??F - I don't know degrees F really!], and even survive temps down to 5C [40F] for a while). The humidity sounds ok too - but I find that D.adelae can also tolerate lower humidity than the other "Queensland Forest Sundews", and for me also grows well as an "open" windowsill plant - but bear in mind I'm in West Wales in the UK, and our natural humidity here may be higher than where you live. Also, you said you purchased the plant in November - it may be that they just haven't settled down enough yet in their new home to flower, give them a bit of time (some of mine are only just showing new flower buds now, when they last flowered around September). This is quite an easy and tolerant Sundew. Also, if it ever appears to die, don't throw the plant away: this species sometimes dies off above ground, but almost always returns to life from new shoots sprouting from the roots and runners in the pot if kept damp - can take 1 to 6 months to resprout. I would say the same about many other species of Sundew too, if they die off above ground don't discard them immediately as they often have a habit of resprouting from the roots - you just have to be patient!

Anyway, good luck with this nice Sundew, and let us know how you get on. I hope this info helps a bit!
    Kind regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm mainly interested in Drosera, Dionaea & Aldrovanda, Hardy Orchids (esp Dactylorhiza), Arums and Ericas (Heaths/Heathers - European + S.African)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also had plantlets sprout from the leaves...nothing new really.

I agree with Seandew...the flowers would be much nicer if they were larger. With the sun behind them, they look like little stars.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123