What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera adelea self propagating

i have a d.adelea and it has a root hanging out of the bottom of its pot with a plant growing on it . which i just noticed and also its leaves have baby plants growing of the leaves that are laying on the moss. its wierd with all these all over the plant . I probably will take the root and trim it so i can grow the plant atached to it then i will repot it and remove the little guys too. Shouldnt it flower soon? its 4 inches tall and very vine like.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (carnivorkid @ April 14 2004,9:30)]which i just noticed and also its leaves have baby plants growing of the leaves that are laying on the moss.
You are the second person to have this happen, congradulations. (I was the first). I am doing an article of this for most of the CP newsletters and others. I believe this is now becoming a common occurance. It's called a "Passow spawn", named after Jonathan Passow.

Leaf laying on moss making babies, its pretty common.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ April 15 2004,4:41)]Leaf laying on moss making babies, its pretty common.
But in some of my cases it wasn't touching the moss, it was still in the air.

i think that this happens becuase. One thing the leaf is practically in the air but because of it being conected to the plant it gets its water and it half lays on the soil so it causes plants to grow . Also because of its 100% humidity it has makes it root easily.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jon @ April 15 2004,11:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (carnivorkid @ April 14 2004,9:30)]which i just noticed and also its leaves have baby plants growing of the leaves that are laying on the moss.
You are the second person to have this happen, congradulations. (I was the first). I am doing an article of this for most of the CP newsletters and others. I believe this is now becoming a common occurance. It's called a "Passow spawn", named after Jonathan Passow.
like larry said, roots coming out of the bottom then sprouting are very common, if you look into the archives youll see that its happened alot
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 15 2004,8:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jon @ April 15 2004,11:10)]
[b said:
like larry said, roots coming out of the bottom then sprouting are very common, if you look into the archives youll see that its happened alot
smile.gif
Read the quote again, and you'll see that's not what I said. I quoted about the leaves having babies, not about the roots having babies. The roots are common, the leaves are new.
biggrin.gif

This is also not true. It is common for many Drosera species to prodcue small plants on the ends of the leaves in humid environments. The extra moisture in the air allows the plants to be produced as it is similar to being in contact with a damp soil.

I have had the occur on many occasions in the past in my very humid terrarium. Species I have had this occur with are D. binata, capensis, intermedia and adelae.

Sean.

AGH! DARN IT! I was so hyped that this was new. I had posted on this boards and no one knew what I was talking about, I looked for info on this happening and couldn't find it. Has anyone named this phenominon or written articles on it?

My D. adelae do the same thing. They grow like crazy from root cuttings!! I bought one sorry looking plant from Lowes and I now have four pots overflowing with plants! Dump your pots, split those plants and you'll have more than you know what to do with. Great gifts for kids, friends, fellow cpers, etc. Mine seem to bloom when the temps in my basement start to warm up in the spring. Flower stalks are poping up all over. You have to love easy plants like these!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ April 16 2004,7:18)]My D. adelae do the same thing.  They grow like crazy from root cuttings!!  I bought one sorry looking plant from Lowes and I now have four pots overflowing with plants!  Dump your pots, split those plants and you'll have more than you know what to do with.  Great gifts for kids, friends, fellow cpers, etc.  Mine seem to bloom when the temps in my basement start to warm up in the spring.  Flower stalks are poping up all over.  You have to love easy plants like these!
Easy? Not everybody has had that experience. I also got mune from Lowes and it has been producing green leaf after green leaf.... as well as plantlets from old leaves and possibly from the roots. Would love to see some flowers. What are your growing conditions?

You're not missing much. They are not the most attractive Drosera flowers you will see. I remove my flower buds as soon as they appear. You can't get seeds from them (rarely anyway) and they don't look very nice so I don't bother.

Sean.

Hmmm, I have to disagree slightly with you Sean (in my personal preferences at least!) in that I find the flowers of Drosera adelae quite attractive - like arching sprays of little red stars, bright crimson when the sun is behind them (dark red otherwise), especially when they flower in winter when there is little else of colour (at least here!). Pure Red is also not a common flower colour for Drosera species. I wouldn't have thought the non-red colour flower forms (which are difficult to find at least in the UK) were so attractive - are those the forms you're referring to? I quite like the D.adelae flowers anyway! But as you say, usually (there are occasional exceptions) you don't get seed unless you cross-pollinate 2 separate clones. Anyway Jim, let them flower at least once, you might like them!

Okay Matt, point taken. I guess if you haven't seen the flowers of the plant before it definitely is worth letting the plant flower to see for yourself. Red is a very unusual flower colour for any CP let alone a Drosera.

I have plants with both red and pale flowers. The pale flowered plants don't do anything for me at all. The bright red flowers I guess could be considered attractive, especially when the first couple open up. In my opinion they become less attractive as the flower stem lengthens and the older remains of flowers persist. I think if the flowers were larger they would have much more of an impact.

I find that when my plants flower they do so profusely and the plants begin to look a little messy. An individual flower close up though could be considered quite attractive. Pity they are not larger.

Anyway Jim, don't listen to me. Give the flowers a go and see if you like them. Hopefully your plants will produce some for you.

When I think about it I sounded a bit like a non-Drosera lover (couldn't think of a better term than that) in my last post. Heaven forbid that should ever happen! Please don't chastise me Tamlin it won't happen again
smile.gif

Sean.

Matt eh?  I like the name - could get used to it I s'pose!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Seriously, I know what you mean about the "untidiness" of older flowering scapes on D.adelae, so it may be a good idea to cut off flower stems after they've been in flower say for a month, also helps save energy for the plant. I find that sometimes my plants will look weaker after a mass flowering, and sometimes even go dormant (the rosettes above ground can die off), though this is not usually the case, and they always return from new shoots from the roots and runners even if that does happen.

Talking of Red Drosera flowers, looking at "Carnivorous Plants of Australia" Volume 1 (book by Allen Lowrie), Drosera microphylla has beautiful glossy red flowers: I would love to try growing that species sometime!

Sorry Adam, don't know where the name Matt came from. I'll blame it on tiredness.
smile.gif
Too many hours spent on the forums and not enough sleep.

I prefer to have healthy looking plants rather than flowers so that is another reason I remove them. Each inflorescence can flower for an incredibly long time and by the time they finish they can be quite long and unsightly as well as energy sapping.

I've seen Drosera microphylla flowering in WA but it wasn't the red flowered form unfortunately. The one I saw grew in a thin layer of soil on top of granite near Esperance. The flowers were a pale pink colour with a darker, pinky red centre. Still a very attractive plant though. The plants were completely red and grew in masses at the base of large boulders. They grew along with U. menziesii in very moist, seepy soils.

Once again sorry. I won't get the name wrong again
smile.gif
I feel stupid now!

Sean.

Hi guys - "Let it flower?" I'd love to - if only I knew how. I bought mine from Lowes on November and I'v sice moved it out of the platic cube thing it came in, to give it more "elbow room." Here are its conditions: The temps have been in the 60's and 70's. It is facing an east window, not open tray, watered twice a week, and covered loosley, trying to maintain humidity but allow for air circulation. It has produced ~10 plantlets that grow ever so slowly. What do I do to induce flowering? I've seen the pictures of the flowers in a book. they are pretty, but I understand that they are also tiny.

I grow my plants in 8" square pots in pure LFS. They are in my grow room in the basement under a 1000 watt metal halide with a humidifier keeping the RH around 65% + to 90% +

They like it wet and humid from my experience. I do not water from above but grow them using the try method.

Get your plants out of the nasty moss that the lowes plants come in!

Oops, Tray method. I guess you could say I grow all my plants using the try method.

Temps 60-80 deg F

Back