Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dew problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

3 days ago, i had replanted my 4 sundews (D. Spathulata) into a terrarium (3 Gallon Terrarium From Pet Fly Trap) and i soak the plant in a strong Solution of Superthrive (10 Drops a Gal) for 30 minutes prior to replanting. I placed the whole plant, into the mixture. i did the same for the 3 Pings (P. Primuliflora), and 2 Small Neps(N. Raff and N. Ventricosa). I then Planted them in the Terrarium. I Misted them with RO water and then Left them in the Tanks. They were kept under a 40 Watt cool white incandescent bulb about 4 inches above the tank from 6:00A.M. to 6:00P.M. The Pings already have a lot of dew on them and the Raff pitcher is opening and the Ventricosa is starting to pitcher. But the Sundewws only have a small, if not no amount of dew on them. What's wrong? Is it to hot for them or something? please tell Me.
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible that the change in environment might have resulted in a bit of shock. I have experienced this with a D. capensis, a P. primuliflora, and a D. spatualata. All have responded, in time to a stable environment, temporary total enclosing, and patience. Hard to say wheter correlation = causality, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o, thanks alot jim, sry about that mets thing b4
    anyways, i think ur right. the humidity inside that tanks has to be 80%+ because theres alot of condensation on the side of the tanks, i can only see into it from the top.
    Ill try to just be patient and see if they will bounce back.
    i never knew S Dews were so sensitive
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One caveat: A headache has a common symptom - it also has multiple causes. Whatever I have done to screw up my plants I have had success in bringing them back - but I may have been more fortunate than skillful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... so what do u suppose can have caused this other than shock?
    the temp i believe is about 80 F in the tank
    i dont think its to hot in there but i may be wrong, im a newb with droseras (more than other CP's -_-)
    anything else u want to know about the conditions or anything, jus ask cuz i dunt want my first dews to die
    i guess i jus cant "do the dew"
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta love a bad pun! Seriously, You've reached my limit of useful experience. Must have Tamlin, P-man, etc... to help out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o ya, how do u get dirt off the dew?
    while i was soaking, i relly didnt wash the root that well and the sundews and some of the ping are dirty
    do they just drop the dirt or do i really have to clean them?
    i dunt wanna get rid of the scarce dew thats on them now so should i just leave them alone?
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just leave them be for awhile. It sounds like stress might be affecting them, and this is not unusual. Whenever a sundew makes a change from one home to another, a period of adjustment will be needed.

Generally, Drosera (other than the petiolaris species) really prefer cooler conditions generally, but a happy plant won't complain at 80F. 55-65F is paradise to them.

Here are some other considerations toward losing your newbie status, lol.

Use pure water such as rain or distilled. Some species are highly sensitive to mineral buildup in the substrate. If they sit in water trays, either let the trays dry out before refilling, or change the water every 2 weeks.

Provide ample light of good spectrum (I use 1 cool white to one balanced spectrum 40 watts in a 4 foot shoplight fixture). Drosera are real light hungry plants. Provide some sun when possible, but go very slowly with exposure, especially in a terrarium where heat and sunburn can damage the plants. It sounds like you are keeping the plants close to the light, and this is good. You might want to consider raising the lights though if they are sitting on top of your terrarium. The bulbs generate unwanted heat, but the plants should still stay within 4 inches of the tubes. The difference of an inch or two is very significant in terms of how much light is reaching your plants through the glass.

Most species will do well in a relative humidity 0f 40% and higher. !00% humidity is not always optimal. It may help your plant to recover from its stress, but a healthy and strongly growing plant can adjust to the lower humidity with no complaints. This is called growing your plants "hard" vs "soft" as in terrarium culture. A hard grown plant is healthier and more disease resistant, and more like how they grow in habitat.

Provide air circulation. Keep the terrarium cracked a little. The plants enjoy fresh air, cool nights, bright days.

Whenever possible grow the plants from seed. Seed grown plants are always better adjusted to your own conditions.

Feed your plants only when healthy and dewy. I recommend dried bloodworms ground into powder and sprinkeled on the leaves, or allow them to feed naturally in outdoor culture.

Good luck with your plants! Drosera are wonderful plants!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast