Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuberous drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nep29,

Actually, from what I have read there are four subspecies of D. menziesii, but which one you got is another question. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nep29,

The typical form of Drosera menziesii (not mensiezzs) is also known as Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii, therefore you DO have a ssp. There are also 3 other subspecies (basifolia, penicillaris and thysanosepala). These 3 are much harder to find and more difficult to grow. It is most likely you have the ssp. menziesii.

If your plants are too small to be D. menziesii ssp. menziesii it is only because they are not yet mature, or your conditions are not ideal.

The plants will grow up to 40 cms and be bright red in good light. I have seen them growing in WA and they flower very late in the season and often grow in quite damp soils. I would expect them to set seed relatively easily.

Sean.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sp & subsp are diffrent
    yeah mensiezz is really easy to grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have kept it wet all year & it hasn't rotted!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    i suppose this year i will have to put them out in the sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nep29, just to clarify a few things-

1. It is D. menziesii not mensiezz [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img](sorry to seem a bit pedantic but I believe it is important for the botanical names to be spelt correctly especially if the plant is to be passed on to other growers. This avoids confusion).

2. The species menziesii refers to 4 different forms. To refer to this species simply as D. menziesii is misleading and could refer to any of the 4 ssp.

3. Generally, if a person has a plant that is referred to simply as D. menziesii it would be presumed that it is Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii.

This is one of the few tuberous Drosera species which can be kept moist/wet all year without rotting. The more sun you can give it the better.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually had menziesii ssp penicillaris last season, the tubers died during dormancy. Drosera menziesii ssp menziesii (The Pink Rainbow) is possibly the most common West Australian tuberous sundew in cultivation. Certainly one of easiest to grow. Needs lots of light for colour. I grow mine outdoor in full sun to get the colouration and I live in South Australia. (This means lots of sun.)

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i fixed the label sean
    & if drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii is so easy then why is the savage garden & other such books is says that pleata & ariculata is the easyest?
    i have had ariculata & it rotted but i diden't know much about them then [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii along with D. peltata, auriculata and whittakerii are probably the easiest of the tuberous Drosera to grow.

The reason is that because the D. auriculata, peltata and whittakerii grow in eastern Australia (also in your country of NZ with peltata and auriculata) in habitats that are usually a little damper and cooler through Summer than many of the drier habitats in WA.

D. menziesii ssp. menziesii grows in habitats that can remain damp through much of Summer and so doesn't require a dormancy as dry as many of the other WA species.

I'm surprised that your D. auriculata rotted. Maybe you kept it a little too wet during dormancy. Remember that although these species can survive a damp/wet dormancy, they prefer a dormancy that is cool and just barely damp. If you can provide these conditions you will have no problems with either peltata or auriculata.

Sean.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i have a freind who lives in northern nsw around the lismore area where do you think he could find the closest tuberious drosera?
    & what about me here in nz? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast