What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous drosera

nep29

BANNED
i have 2 D.menzesii's that i bought at the beggining of winter last year they grew to under 10cm
i was just wondering how long it will take before they are flowering size (meture)

This is a relatively small growing species. If you have 10 cm plants, I think flowering could be at any time, mine flowered at about that size.

yeah about this long
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| i hope myn flowas this year

Mine was a little larger, but not much. The flower is really spectacular!

I think it matters on which subssp. When you put it like you did, I would think you meant subsp menziesii.

Joe

no it is just plain menseizz as i got it
the tubers are this big O and red i hope the flowers don't exhaust the tubersoh & tamlin did they produce seed?

Drosera menziesii ssp menziesii will reach about 30cm in height and if you have enough sun on them they should turn deep red on leaves and stem. It considered a late flowering form because it flower at the end of it growth cycle. Some of the other ssp can be taller but very hard to get hold of.

o.k. i think we should get some thing streight here guys
it is not subsp. any thing!
it is
D.R.O.S.E.R.A. M.E.N.S.I.E.Z.Z.S.
i got this plant of a guy who has some very rare plants i think he has evrey pygmie sundew
oh btw: why do you think it it mensiezz subsp
if there is mensiezz subsp then there has to be mensiezz
+ any ways my plants are to small to be mensiezz subsp mensiezz thanks any way

Hi Nep29,

Actually, from what I have read there are four subspecies of D. menziesii, but which one you got is another question. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Christer

Nep29,

The typical form of Drosera menziesii (not mensiezzs) is also known as Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii, therefore you DO have a ssp. There are also 3 other subspecies (basifolia, penicillaris and thysanosepala). These 3 are much harder to find and more difficult to grow. It is most likely you have the ssp. menziesii.

If your plants are too small to be D. menziesii ssp. menziesii it is only because they are not yet mature, or your conditions are not ideal.

The plants will grow up to 40 cms and be bright red in good light. I have seen them growing in WA and they flower very late in the season and often grow in quite damp soils. I would expect them to set seed relatively easily.

Sean.

sp & subsp are diffrent
yeah mensiezz is really easy to grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have kept it wet all year & it hasn't rotted!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

i suppose this year i will have to put them out in the sun.

Nep29, just to clarify a few things-

1. It is D. menziesii not mensiezz
smile.gif
(sorry to seem a bit pedantic but I believe it is important for the botanical names to be spelt correctly especially if the plant is to be passed on to other growers. This avoids confusion).

2. The species menziesii refers to 4 different forms. To refer to this species simply as D. menziesii is misleading and could refer to any of the 4 ssp.

3. Generally, if a person has a plant that is referred to simply as D. menziesii it would be presumed that it is Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii.

This is one of the few tuberous Drosera species which can be kept moist/wet all year without rotting. The more sun you can give it the better.

Sean.

I actually had menziesii ssp penicillaris last season, the tubers died during dormancy. Drosera menziesii ssp menziesii (The Pink Rainbow) is possibly the most common West Australian tuberous sundew in cultivation. Certainly one of easiest to grow. Needs lots of light for colour. I grow mine outdoor in full sun to get the colouration and I live in South Australia. (This means lots of sun.)

yeah i fixed the label sean
& if drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii is so easy then why is the savage garden & other such books is says that pleata & ariculata is the easyest?
i have had ariculata & it rotted but i diden't know much about them then
tounge.gif

Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii along with D. peltata, auriculata and whittakerii are probably the easiest of the tuberous Drosera to grow.

The reason is that because the D. auriculata, peltata and whittakerii grow in eastern Australia (also in your country of NZ with peltata and auriculata) in habitats that are usually a little damper and cooler through Summer than many of the drier habitats in WA.

D. menziesii ssp. menziesii grows in habitats that can remain damp through much of Summer and so doesn't require a dormancy as dry as many of the other WA species.

I'm surprised that your D. auriculata rotted. Maybe you kept it a little too wet during dormancy. Remember that although these species can survive a damp/wet dormancy, they prefer a dormancy that is cool and just barely damp. If you can provide these conditions you will have no problems with either peltata or auriculata.

Sean.

hey i have a freind who lives in northern nsw around the lismore area where do you think he could find the closest tuberious drosera?
& what about me here in nz?
tounge.gif

Not too sure about NZ, if you can find Bruce Salmons book on CPs in New Zealand you may get some info on sites where you can find peltata and auriculata as well as all the other NZ species.

Around Lismore your friend may be able to find D. peltata, auriculata and macrantha ssp. planchonii. Tell him/her to check out any dry open Eucalypt forest that is not too high in elevation- sea level will probably be best. I'm sure that D. peltata and auriculata will be very common around there. Unfortunately D. whittakerii ssp. aberrans doesn't grow that far north. They won't have emerged from dormancy yet but should appear in about 6-8 weeks.

Sean.

my mum has just told me that she has seen D.pleata around here before
biggrin.gif

and why would they be in eucolypt forrests?
is that a certain place where they grow?
wink.gif

iv also herd that gold corses or under power lines

ooooooooooo ima gona see the D.pleata some time this winter
my mother has also told me that there growing amongst it are D.burmanii
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Sorry to tell you this Nep29 but Drosera burmannii does not occur in New Zealand. Maybe the plant it grows with is Drosera spatulata which is fairly common in New Zealand.

By the way it is spelt Drosera peltata, not pleata.
smile.gif

When I talk about Eucalyptus forest I am talking about around Lismore, not NZ. Eucalypts don't grow naturally in NZ.

Most of the forest in eastern Australia is Eucalypt which is why you mostly find D. peltata in these forests.

The plants like to grow in disturbed areas also- such as roadsides, under powerlines and in paddocks. They like these areas because they get plenty of sun (which they love) and little competition from other plants. Because they grow very quickly and easily from seed they can colonise these areas quickly.

Another reason they can do well better in these areas than many other plants is because they go dormant in Summer. These spots usually get quite hot and dry in Summer and many other plants don't like these conditions. The D. peltata die back in Summer and wait for the areas to become moist again. During the hot Summer many other plants that will have tried to grow and survive in the same places will have died.

Back