Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drosera natalensis "coccicaulis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasonable enough suggestion with plants of uncertain location and parentage and coccicaulis certainly is that. What would you suggest for naming them until they formally published as a cultivar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, short term naming "Sp." isn't so much of a problem, especially if the material is recorded SOMEWHERE: a web site, a society journal travelouge, anything where the information can be gotten to. But when the material has circulated for years or decades without any reference, then the problem gets worse. Now that there is a system created that will allow for legitimate publication by ICBN regulations it should be used in a timely manner. So, I go to South Africa, find a desirable looking plant. I write about it, giving it a name which I intend to call it by when I publish it formally. I also publish a photo, or place it on my website BEFORE I begin to redistribute it. I sit down for 15 mins and write a brief description of what makes it "special", photograph those special qualities, and send it to a publication like the CPN, or the UK Journal, or the ACPS Journal. Once it is published, I make an public announcement about the fact, and ask that people update their labels and drop the "SP". Now there is a way to answer the question "What is Drosera SP. Mumbojumbo" because I have established what it IS, not what it "might be". I have a photo, and a description I can refer someone who asks this question to. If their plant looks like the standard and exactly matches the written description, it is Drosera 'Mumbojumbo', if it does not, then it isn't.

If I later decide to formally publish this as a species with a protolouge, I change the cultivar name to a Latin Scientific name: Drosera rumtumtorium, and mention its former discovery and cultivar status in the discussion part of the Species Novae protolouge which needs be in Latin, and must have a specimen herborized. Formal Species Novae publication is a bit more demanding than a cultivar description which requires only a description, photo, short history, and reproduction method to maintain the special character.

That would be how I would do it.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very educative William. Now, what do you think about making a website specially for this purpose??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Khoas @ May 01 2004,11:11)]Was it breeding season for snakes when you got bitten? Tiger and Brown snakes can have very bad tempers here especially around breeding season.
    Then again it could just been in bad mood and you were too close. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    Well mid july I don`t know if thats breeding season? Lol. my birthday is on july 17th so it was the worst b-day present ever!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. natalensis it is! What is D. cuba I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never got hold any thing I can match Cuba I to. It not intermedia form. Speaking of anyone know anything about Drosera Sp. Synderi. From I seen a self fertile hybrid between capillaris and intermedia would be a good bet. The seeds pods shape and the central mid rib are very capillaris in nature while the shape of leaves and the angle they are held at is very intermedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D X snyderi= D. dielsiana x D. nidiformis.

The plants I grow as D. sp. Cuba 1 look like a small form of D. intermedia.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Seandew @ May 04 2004,10:32)]D X snyderi= D. dielsiana x D. nidiformis.

The plants I grow as D. sp. Cuba 1 look like a small form of D. intermedia.
    Yet again - thanx!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast