Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drosera natalensis "coccicaulis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant holds on to money better than I do!

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    william,
    you always do the best
    are the seeds you sent from them?just sown for 2 weeks::

rex

hong kong cps gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] For some reason I really like the look of that one more than other species...

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Wow William!

Those plants look very healthy and dewy...but they seem to eat a lot of money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William,

That's really a great plant!

I still have problems to accept Drosera venusta (coccicaulis is venusta, but collected somewhere else than the type) as Drosera natalensis. The D. natalensis i grow are so much different from my venusta (different flowers, different leaf forms...)! I'm my mind it just makes no sense to reduce D. venusta to D. natalensis.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christian,

Considering the variability within Drosera natalensis across it's range I think one must look beyond the obvious phenotypical differences. I have seen plants with spoon shaped lamina superficially similar to D. spatulata, only hairy. I have seen the same form with wider lamina as in D. venusta and D. "coccicaulis". I have seen lamina closely approximating those of D. aliciae but with a lax and open rosette. I have seen very narrow lamina: about the width of D capensis.

I have D. dielsiana which are intermediate with D. natalensis by virtue of the less divided styles (remember the photo I posted in the ID forum? Robert thought this would have to be called D. natalensis!) I also have D. dielsiana that look like miniature D. venusta only with green lamina, but with the same upright form.

So I would again stress that a very open mind is required regarding this complex species, and a willingness to surrender the cherished taxonomic concept of "typical", and remember that especially in South Africa the word species is a verb, not a noun. So Christian, in this case I find I am in support of Dr. Schlauer's opinion that there are already too many "species" within the D. natalensis/aliciae/burkeana/dielsiana/nidiformis/madagascariensis complex.

For those of us with less of a categorical imperative, all the forms are beautiful and worth growing. This particular form is robust and handsome.

If anyone else has D. natalensis in cultivation, please post some photos!

The form I want to find is the one Rico posted photos of. I suspect this is the way the plants in Madagascar would look, and these would be the most pure examples within a variable species.

Rex, yes this is the seed I sent to you.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

These plants sure are beatiful and worth cultivating! Those are one of my favourite plants!

William, i understand your point very well! There is very much introregression/hybridization, especillay in the south-african Drosera that it is sometimes really hard to assign a species name for the plants we are growing. But, in the case of Drosera venusta/natalensis i(!) don't really think it is good to reduce them to D. natalensis. If this is done, i wonder what justifies the "species-status" of Drosera dielsiana for example. I have plants of Drosera dielsiana, that look nearly the same than my D. venusta or natalensis. For me, the consequence would be to reduce them to D.natalensis as well. At least from my non biological view All this is based on experiences of my cultivated plants.

William, i'm still trying to get seeds of such a plant, that Rico posted, for you!

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants I like all the taxonamic talk,keep it comin`![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast