What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two interesting drosera (including flower details)

Hello,

Last week, two of my Drosera flowered. Both are really interesting, especially the flower details. I tried my best to show all details.

Drosera experts, its your turn now
smile.gif

http://virtuelle.gefil.de/~chrusty/unknown/

The images are labeled as plant a and plant b.

I got plant a as Drosera aliciae 'Tsitsika near Toopish' and
plant b as Drosera spec. 57

Thanks in advance.

(I will use your opinions for my own research. )

Hi Rico,
Can you tell us the diameter of the flowers? Might be helpfull. They do look a lot like my aliciae flowers....but I'm not expert, that's for sure.

Hi Rico,

As i already told you, i don't think the first plant (a) is Drosera aliciae. The styles of my Drosera aliciae are less divides and the flower colour is a bit different, as is the rosette. I would rather say, this is a D. natalensis.

As for the second plant (b) i don't really have an idea. It looks a bit like D. dielsiana. But the flower is somehow atypical for D. dielsiana (too much divided styles).

Christian

Hi Rico,

Looks a bit like slakii, or deilsiana, or maybe a cross between the two

Hello Rico,

Both plants appear to be intermediate forms within the D. natalensis/aliciae complex. My impression is that the first plant in in character closest to D. natalensis, but with some obvious relationship with D. aliciae as well. I note the roundness of the seedpods is more evident than in D. natalensis, but otherwise what I see conforms well with D. natalensis. The flowers resemple D. "Coccicaulis" in my own collection, so I think that here we are seeing this highly variable species.

Plant B I would name D. dielsiana, despite the division of the styles. The flower and scape so much resemble D. dielsiana. Although the flower seems darker than in some I grow, there is that slight darker shading seen at the petals base that always speaks of D. dielsiana to me. A very good character for determining D. dielsiana would be the ovoid seed, to 0.4mm long by 0.2mm maximum diameter with minutely longitudinally grooved surface which are distince from both D. aliciae and D. natalensis in which the seeds are characteristically narrowly fusiform, brown or blackish-brown 0.5 to 0.6mm long by 0.1mm maximum diameter.

Seed has often been used in the South African's as a good determinator.

The flowers of plant a is 1cm in diameter and the flower of plant b is 1,4cm in diameter. The flower of plant b was really dark. I had never seen such a flower before. I compared it with my South African Drosera in cultivation.

(I agree with William, plant a=natalensis and plant b=dielsiana . This is my opinion, too. )

I will try to harvest seeds of both plants. If I am successfull, I will post pictures of seed structure.

There are always new surprises when it comes to growing the South African species, and this is part of both the charm and the frustration even to the "experts", lol.

I look forward to your seed photos, and thanks for sharing another look at these perplexing plants.

Now, I know what these plants are.

Plant a:
Drosera venusta, with a strong tendency to D. dielsiana
(maybee a hybrid between both)

Plant b:
Drosera venusta, the real and typical one, like described by P. Debbert

And there is a new Plant c in the folder:
This one seems to be a hybrid between D. natalensis and D. dielsiana.
Some people cultivate this plant under the name D. dielsiana 'Madagascar'

weird but nice
biggrin.gif

(sorry, I'm no dosera expert...Tamlin should know!)
wink.gif

Back