What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera gemmea

My drosera scorpiodes gemmea seems to already grow after planted 3 days ago. Does it usually grow this fast. the plants are coming out of the gemmea. Oh yeah and thanks for the gemmea Bigcarnivorkid.

From my experience they seem to root faster in the spring and summer than in the winter. Not sure why, but so it seems.

i got some from Bigcarnivorkid also. they are starting to grow. the ones that didnt freeze that Tamlin sent me back in December took longer to get started than these scorpiodes. sorry to butt into your post but can someone tell if they will transplant well as long as i do it before they get very big?

Rattler

They can be transplanted with CARE!! The best approach is to straddle the rosette with a long pair of tweezers or similar improvisation, and to go straight down on either side.  These roots are vertical in orientation with little branching.  You need to squeeze the roots on either side holding them immobile in their vertical orientation by compressing the mix with the tweezers so that you can lift out a long "root ball" except in this case it is more of a "root tube".  You should have a hole of equal depth and width waiting in the new pot, and insert the whole sheebang in there.  Top water to settle the mix (avoid wetting the rosette) , and keep the transplants in lower light but with good air circulation.  After a few tries, you will get a feel for how deep you need to go.  The longer the roots, the more care is needed and the greater the losses will be.  There should be no tug from the roots: they are so thin that they will tear at the least resistance.  The only way to get them out is by actually holding the entire root.  Most Drosera species can be gently tugged out of the mix for transplant, but this will not work for the pygmys.  This is all best done before the plants flower from my experience while they are in full and active growth.

A note on planting the gemmae: there is a small bump on the gemmae: plant this bump side up.

yeah they seem to grow fast. This is my first gemmea that i ever had grown.

I thought gemmae (like seeds) would right itself even if the bump is the wrong way up (because of auxin and tropism)? Or maybe in cps its different...

Is it?
wink.gif

They won't turn over, but they will reverse the direction of the root growth if it is wrong. Planting them in the right position spares this corrective energy.

Then maybe they can save the energy and produce gemmae themselves later in life...does gemmae production use tons of energy like VFT flowering?

i dont know which way i planted mine all i know is they all grew
biggrin.gif

Back