Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.sp 'cuba' ?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know me - EVERYTHING (except non-pigmy sundews) looks like a spatulata! You're right, though, my plant has pods that are more elongated than the one pictured. The bud color is the same, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christian,

AHA! I knew I had seen this scape from somewhere, and I bet your plants are where it was.

I recall this now. This is most certainly a hybrid, and I would speculate that it is a fertile tetraploid as well based on the abberant petals....oh, I really would like to see this plant!!

I asked Robert about it, and he tell's me it reminds him of a plant circulating in Australia as Drosera spatulata 'Tanega'. I told him if this was D. spatulata I flunked Spatulata 101 and he taught the course! I'll let you know what he replies, LOL.
    I think it was a test!

Most people think all of them look like Drosera roundandstickya! Jim, y'all just hang around here and you'll get edjamacated. It really is a matter of internalizing small details of flower, hairs, scapes, and seed. Pretty soon you'll be W'E'I'R'D' too, and be mumbling things like "adnate stipules" in your sleep.

You know, Valerie can ID a car coming down the road half a mile away, make, model and sometimes year. To me, they are all cars. Some are blue. Some are gold. I get real fancy sometimes and add big blue car to my description, or old blue car. It's because I never really cared that much for cars. She's lucky to be able to tell a Ping from a Drosera, lol.
    It's funny, not too many are attracted to the science of taxonomy, but its fun getting to know the plants in intimate detail.

I have a lot more to say on this plant once I hash some things out with Mr. Gibson. I have a hunch as to what the parents might be of this plant, but I want my test back first.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would one of the parents have to have a double scape? That is an odd thing for a hybrid to exhibit, especially if it produces seed resulting in the same trait.
    Tamlin knows his stuff though..

Joe

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I'm already weird, but am striving for W.E.I.R.D.! At least I am well-versed in stolons & rolons & lolons - oh my!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I've seen a plant like that somewhere before...

Griffin, it could be from the parents, but if we have a 4n plant that alone could be enough to make the flower stem respond oddly. I can't remember the plant, but in our genetics class we looked at an extream example of this one kind of plant that rangest from something like 2n-14n o_O And every vertion looked exactly alike except the scape and seed pods formed in different patterns and shapes. Plants can be funny like that. ... I wish I could remember were I saw a scape like that before.... Next time I'm at the gardens I'll check over the drosera collection to see if that is were I saw it.

...Which reminds me. Tamlin, at the miejer gardens we have a weird trait in about 50% of our capenensis. The petioles are flattened out, almost winged to be as wide as the blade. It cuts in just before the blade like in a VFT. Some have it more then others, but the most notable are those that have wider then average traps and a much wider petiol to boot. Is this the "wide" type?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a plant that is almost identical to Christians. I received mine as Drosera sp. 'Pretty rosette'. There was a thread back a while ago where both Christian and I posted photos of our plants. Mine have just finished flowering and are currently producing seed. So, unfortunately I can't get photos of the flowerscape at the moment.

Here's an old photo of the plant. It looks just like a small D. dielsiana and often has only 4 petals. There are never more than 4 flowers and the scape is only about 10 cms (4 inches) tall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jmmm.. it looks this plant is widely distributed and has very stable characteristics. What do you think tamlin? I think there is enough info, and the plant is nicely enough as to register a new cultivar??

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a very beautiful plant and it would be nice to have a single name standard to call it by since it seems its been circulated under a variety of names.

I wish more plants were registered to avoid just this problem. ID would be much easier with a set standard to go by.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast