Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.sp 'cuba' ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egads, another name!

Sean, do you recall if your flower scape also divided as in Sebastian's photo?

You know, there are different thoughts regarding cultivar publication. I beleieve the system was likely devised more for the horticulture trade, the be able to introduce new, desirable and marketable clones.

The system would also be very well employed in my opinion to resolve issues like this one, so yes, I think this would be a good candidate for registration, especially if the flower scape form is a stable characteristic. It's uniqueness would be the defining characteristic, and we could get rid of a bunch of confusing and useless bogus names in the process.

I want to dig a little first. Sebastian, you mentioned your friend in Germany said this plant was originally collected by Paul Debbert. I wonder if there is a way to get the story from Mr. Debbert himself. Do you think you might be able to ask your friend to help us with that? I do not have any introduction to or contact information for Paul Debbert. If it is confirmed by PAul that this is one of his (many)introductions, I would like to have his name associated with the plant "Debbert's Double Troubler" immediately sings in my consciousness.......

So, all you different growers of this plant: is the forked scape a stable characteristic, or at least present on a significant portion of the flowering plants? This is the key focus.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine produces a flowerscape exactly the same as Sebastian and Christians. I just checked my plants in the greenhouse and there is a scape on one that has finished flowering long ago. I may take a photo of it today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

As far as i know, this plant was distributed commercially by Dr. Eberhard Koenig here in Germany. There are many more here, who grow this one. I have been told, the scape is a stable characteristic of this plant.

Sebastian, Did you get this plant from a german grower? If so, please let me know (per Mail, please), who has given you the plant. I would like to see, if there is a chance to trace back the origin and maybe even to get location data of it.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William, I donīt know if it was Debbert who collected this plant but it was him who gave it to my friend in Germany. I have e-mailed some info to Christian just to see if he can find the real origin of it.

By the way.. I am sending you the seed today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the plants in Sebastian's pics are definitely of some S.African species...

Fernando

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats an interesting looking flower scape The rosette looks alot like my D.spat#2 I wonder if it will flower "forked"?
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Robert agrees as well that it is likely a South African. He was only familiar with this as a form of D. spatulata as mentioned, but after some discussion I think we are all in agreement that it is a South African.

It seems very much related to dielsiana, at least superficially. I note the slightly dark bases on some of the flower photos offered that I have come to associate with D. dielsiana and "nearly D. dielsiana". I am looking forward to seeing the seed and growing this little mystery of many names.

I should point out that Robert corrected me as to the open (relfexed) sepals in D. spatulata, saying this feature is not always well developed even on adjacent buds. He is right, but usually idf you look closely you will find a few pods with this feature on the scape, and when you do, D. spatulata should come to mind.

Pond Boy, D. spatulata sometimes forks as well, but this particular forking seems consistent. One bud lower down the scape, and the rest on another fork higher up. If your plant is indeed D. spatulata, it is not the plant in these photos.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I found out, that there seem to be two different plant with such a scape. One ist the "D. spec 11 'cuba'", the plant sebastian has and the other one is the plant i have. My plant is known as "D. spec. 'south africa'" in Germany and as "D. spec 4" in America. The difference in these two plants is, that the "spec. south-africa" has 6 petals, while the "spec 11 'cuba'" has 5 petals. The 6 petals in "sepc. south-africa" seem to be stable. It is not clear, if the D. "spec south-africa" is really from SAF!. I have summarised this from an answer i got from Andreas Fleischmann on our german board. If you can read german, i recommend to read the original you can find here : http://www.carnivoren.org/cgi-bin....4023207

regards,
    Christian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast