Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!  my pygmys are being choked by moss

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zinc is a metal and metals like Ca, MG, Na, and K are definitely harmful to CP's. But perhaps someone can shed some light on Zn, specifically?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me I fear. When it comes to the use of anything other than peat, white silica sand, pure water and LFS I tend towards extreme caution. I add nothing to the mix that doesn't need to be there: no fungicides, fertilizers, perlite, vermiculite, superthrive, trichoderma. I grow in plastic pots only, and I rinse all my potting materials. Small things can make big differences over time, and this protocol always serves me well. No worries about what this or that may or may not do.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard some people have success using a top layer of pure sand < 1 cm thick. I have not yet tried this, however.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do not yet have the sophistication as the experienced growers, having experimented with different media and conditions, I use a 2:1 ratio of sand to peat for pigmy dews. Normally, I just mix sand & peat and topdress with LFS for everything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify, is peat moss the green moss that grows on the surface? If so, is that stuff bad for CP's?
    Who&#39;s your Tiger?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum moss tends to grow in a light almost airy layer. Carpet moss forms a dense green layer about " inch thick. If this layer is allowed to dry and then watered, the water will tend to bead up and set on top at first before soaking in. If it's sphagnum moss, the water usually soaks into it quickly. Sphagnum moss can be a problem for small plants when it grows fast enough to cover them. This can be fixed by trimming it back to uncover the plant. Carpet moss causes problems by forming a dense fibrous matt that is difficult for small plants to penetrate to the soil beneath. It tends to squeeze the small plants out of its way. The only way to control it is to physically remove it from the pot which could result in damage to the CPs growing with it because of all the handling involved.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! I guess I am the only one here who wants to fill my terrarium with sphagnum moss completely.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I get anny gemmae from my pygmies, Varun, you are welcome to some, then we'll see what you think of all that moss
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast