Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drosera seedlings flooded

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been cultivating a variety of Drosera seedlings this Spring and I put the ones I felt were hardened off enough / safe outside. Of course I have to keep up withg evaporation and sweat the weekends a bit. We had a quick, intense downpour last night and the containers / trays were flooded, such that some of them were floating around in a sea of rain water. I know some, like intermedia, can take the flooding, but when the water recedes through evaporation and the plants touch soil media again, will they re-root themselves or are they in trouble? What have you done in these situations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

As long as they were well rooted and thrifty they should be largely unaffected. If the roots came out of the substrate, they need to be carefully reintroduced to the mix. I use a toothpick and very strong glasses.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My answer: YES
    This sound soooo familiar to the situation I had b4, my container overflowed (Yes, OVERFLOwED) becuz I forgot to turn the darn mister off, and it shot so much water in the shallow container that it bust its brim. I think some seeds (spatulata) got washed away but I saved most of them. Also some of my seedlings got uprooted but I just placed them back onto the substrate after the water was drained off. I don't really when this happens (only that it takes long time to save the rest of the ungerminated seeds), but I usually germinate my seeds in water, take them out and just put them onto some LFS. They root from there, and right themselves even if I left them on their side (photo-tropisms...) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] At least nature take the work of my hands a little, but I still have to provide the light...
    These seedlings are SO hardy, well mine anyway *hint hint*

Hope that help at least a tiny bit, [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Jason

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your respective input!