What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spat?

Hi, recently I've recieved two types of D. Spatuatas, and at first they both were doing great in my terrainium, but now have stopped making dews and have deformed leaves...
Do these guys do better outside?  I just don't want to take the chance again like I did with the big capensis.  

I know it sounds like a noob question, but I'm not the what you say obcessed with the whole Sundew Family.  So I don't really know what types like strong sunlight and which does...
****Dioneae's and Nepenthes's rule!***** (Sorry Tamlin, maybe with some time the whole Drosera thing will eventually get me...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!)

My brother has a d. spatualata which is doing very healthy, except for the fact it's flower stalks keep on rotting. He has it in a plastic bag with water inside it on a windowsill.

Most Sundews do well outside in humidity above 40%. They are a light hungry genus in most cases. I grow my D. spatulata forms outside during the good months, but as I have said before you need to go slowly with acclimating the plants to full sunlight.

Peter,

If you experience somewhat cool nights up there in Michigan you may very well see the spats die off to their roots for a short period of time.  I have seen this happen to my Drosera that are moved outdoors even in the summer where I live (Washington state).   But in every case the plants come back in better shape than they were indoors.

-Homer

How cold are you talking about? for now the lows are in the 55+

I keep my spats and pigmys outside and I live a little north of Philly. So far they are doing well.

Lows in the summer here in Western Washington range between 50-60F at night.

-Homer

Back