What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera graminifolia update

A couple of debts will be happily fufilled soon! Checking the smallest D. graminifolia seed pods, I have found seed set at last for this season! There isn't a great deal, but it is there! This is my first seed of this species, and it means a continuation and multiplication of the plant in my culture. I was bitterly disappointed that plants set no seed from the larger plants I grew from the same seedbatch despite over a dozen buds and hand pollination. Why this one plant decided to be fruitful is beyond me, but it is very good news indeed especially for friends in Australia who have no other option to acquire plants other than seed. Have a Foster's on me mates, and keep an eye on the mailboxes!

Based on this good news it is now likely that within 2 years I will be able to begin to distribute these plants to good homes.
This is one of those CP moments for me that make all the blood, sweat and tears all worthwhile. Less than two years ago the seed that my plants are from were in seed pods on plants on the tops of needles of rock sticking up in the clouds, deep in the middle of a rain forest in Brazil. It wasn't easy to come by the seed, to say the least. The wonder of it never ceases to grab me.

Thanks to Robert Gibson and Fernando Rivadavia for sharing the seed collected on their 2002 expidition, and to Dr. John Brittnacher of the ICPS Seedbank for considering me a good bet. Their kindness will bring these plants to us all. My intention is to return triple the seed that was sent to me, to further support the ICPS generous seed donor incentive. In a few seasons I anticipate there will be much larger donations as the second generation in my stewardship matures and flowers. I want to see these rare and precious Brazillian Drosera species become as common as D. capensis.

Just wanted to share the Joy!

That's great news William!!! (rubs hands together in anticipation)

YAY! Congratulations!

I'm glad you got some seed finally. Wonder what was different with that plant than the others...

But I'm glad it was!

Very strange indeed since in the wild they set tons of seeds....

Fernando Rivadavia

I would think that there is some pollinator doing the work. It could be that the pollen wasn't ready or the stigmas receptive at the time I chose to brush. Glad to have the seed though!

Congrats! Very expressive Tamlin...
biggrin.gif
You mean self fertile...right?
BTW, why'd go wondering
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]on the tops of needles of rock sticking up in the clouds, deep in the middle of a rain forest in Brazil
? WEIRD...is right! Is the species a tropical

Common as D.capensis? Uh...maybe just concentrate on distributing around your area first, my guess that this species would be more fragile than capensis (ie. less chance of producing seeds), but still, congrats on this breakthrough!
smile.gif

I dunno Jason, the plant is a fast and willing grower. If it proves to be a good seed producer I see no reason why this species should remain a rare plant, if those that grow it produce and share the seed that is.

Funny how that works as far as rarity. The three sisters from Queensland, Australia grow in small locations, and they have all been around for a long time. I guess it depends on how quick somebody gets them into cultivation.

Joe

I don't think there has been a lot of thrust in that direction by what I see. I just don't understand why the scapes with the most flowers set no seeds, while the 2 measley seed pods on the runt were as full as D. capensis pods! If the amount of seed in those 2 pods is an indication, this species is a prolific seed setter. This is a Royal plant and deserves much wider circulation than the last decade has seen.

I have already sowed some seed, so my fingers are crossed for bountiful germination.

My next species of focus will be Drosera communis and Drosera roraimae. My seedlings are growing at a good rate! It will be fun to get these species into circulation!

Tamlin wrote:
"on the tops of needles of rock sticking up in the clouds, deep in the middle of a rain forest in Brazil"

Jason wrote:
"? WEIRD...is right! Is the species a tropical"

Well not exactly..... to say D.graminifolia grows on mountains jutting out from the rain forest would be the same as imagining that the Rocky Mountains are in the middle of the Great Plains....

Rainforests are centered in Northern and Coastal Brazil. The Espinhaço Highlands, where D.graminifolia is found, are several hundred km inland...

Take care,
Fernando

Back