Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermedia hlp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that mean i can put it in my terrarium?
    i think it will be happy in there [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can give good light there is no reason you cant grow any of the D. intermedia forms like that. If they are temperate forms you will have to remove them from the terrarium for winter dormancy after they form hibernacula. They have to have the right daylength to go dormant though, so you would need to adjust your lights to match the natural daylength. The tropical form would be better suited for what you want to do.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but, u think it can survive a winter dormancy in Long island in a Minibog? It is only 5 inches deep, so idk if i can last the winter...
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is one of the more fussy customers when it comes to dormancy and coming back. I have mixed success. One year I put the plants in a plastic bowl after they went dormant. The moss in the bowl dried out totally, the peat was dry and crumbly. I fould the bowl in the spring, and was going to reuse the peat, and then I found the hibernacula, solid and sound. They grew well when planted.

Other years I have tried keeping them moist and in the fridge. This worked so so but I lost plants.

Too wet during the dormancy and the hibernacula will rot, and air circulation around the buds is a must. They have no roots during dormancy so watering is inadvisable.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try milled sphagnum as a medium also. I had good success with that. Peat/sand works for a lot of people well, but I have figured out that it does not work for me, as the silica sand I get is pretty fine, and I believe it compacts the soil too much. Tamlin's method of having the water table high may help a lot also.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, this is one species that grows well and happily in pure fluffed (no nuggets) peat. It likes strongly acidic conditions.

Griffin, have you checked the sand at your local pool supply co.? The sand I use it just great, very coarse, like granulated sugar, and it is very clean. I don't much care for the finer grade of "play sand" or "sandblasting sand". Check it out!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may try that again. I checked around once with pool places, but with no luck. Yes, the stuff I have is probably equivalent to sand-blast sand, though it's advertised as pre-washed.
    And you are right that intermedia likes pure peat, also. If you let some get dry and run it through a piece of screen, you will get the kind of no-chunk stuff you were talking about. I do this sometimes after I nuked it days prior. I feel it is about as sterile as it's going to get.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123