What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermedia hlp

Does Intermedia Florida need a Dormancy?
its confuses which intermedia needs dormancy since its pan climactic
Thanks In Advanced,
Hellz

I dunno, never heard bout that species b4, but in warm climate all my intermidia never goes dormant (well unless you cram ice on it) - and force it into dormancy, I've seen ppl do that with VFTs in my place (singapore) b4...
smile_m_32.gif

What does pan climatic mean? Does it mean it can go dormant and not in different climates?

The Drosera intermedia I have grown from Florida produced a hibernacula and went dormant on schedule. In the fall give the plants a normal daylength and if they require dormancy the hibernacula will form without any action on your part. I believe all the Florida forms are temperate species.

oic, i was planning on putting it in my terarrium, but it has dormancy requirements.
Jason, Panclimactic means it has different froms of it all around the world (like theres Intermedia florida, Cuba, New Jersy, Etc...)
i ordered more seeds (
biggrin.gif
)
im getting intermedia Cuba seeds.
i have a fews questions
1: No strat needed?
2: What substrate shoul i germinate it on?
3: What temp?
Any suggestions wwill help,
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

D. intermedia 'Cuba' is a tropical form (although in my collection it also occasionally reverts to dormancy, never have figured that out) which needs no special care. Typical tropical culture, 50/50 sand/peat, 40% humidity and above, much light. It likes wet conditions and mine are grown with water standing at the base of the plants with good effect. There is no need for stratification.

I thought intermidia was common? Well over here anyways...is it a rare species in america? Woohoo, at last I've got a lead on at least one plant...
biggrin.gif

Now to answer your Qs: oh Tamlin already did
biggrin.gif

I think 30*C or over would be optimum temp (I dunno what that is in *F, go figure that out yeself!) like in the tropicals we have the best natural conditions, man I feel so good now!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pan-climatic stuff, and go read Tamlin's article about sowing seed, I use that for most of mine

(Psst! Go here!)
And read whateva article you can find there if you got the time, its well worth the read!

Tamlin, did you just add another article on havesting, on seeing that hlp was needed in that area? You did didn't you. It can't have been conincidence, the timing's great! Thanks so much...Woohoo! Now let see, my little capillaris pods, uhm...

Jason

I hate to burst your bubble, but Drosera intermedia is so common over here that I can't step out my front door without squashing 10 or 15. I believe that Florida is making it the state plant - its more common here than grass in our lawns. Seriously, I don't believe that I'd call it rare.

if theyre so common, can u send me over a couple
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif

U, intermedia has a huge range, so it is one of the least uncommon species. There is a lot of variability in the species though so it is always fun trying new seed from different parts of the world. I am partial to the Brazillian forms which tend to be smaller and non-dormant. The form from Mt. Roraimae is my favorite.

can u post a pic of it? Pretty plz Mr. W.E.I.R.D
biggrin.gif

Wow, buster, what part of Florida are you in? I am probably so nearsighted, I never see any - hope I'm not stepping on 'em. I wanna see some! I'll take my camera...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 31 2004,1:07)]if theyre so common, can u send me over a couple
biggrin.gif

smile_m_32.gif

smilie4.gif
ok, when I get seed.
smile.gif
I think mine's D.intermidia cuba though, but it should grow the same (as they same species, almost). Maybe you can ask my bro wezx? His is flowering like mad...they always seemt o be flowering in this part of the world, maybe its becuz of the strong '144Watt' lights - strong light tends to induce early flowering!
smilie4.gif

I would agree with Tamlin, that the one from Mnt. Roraima is the best I have seen.
I have seen some listed before from Florida that are listed as "No dormancy". Maybe these are like the red filliformis, where if they get cold enough, they will go dormant, but if they stay warm, they are happy also.

Joe

Does that mean i can put it in my terrarium?
i think it will be happy in there
biggrin.gif

If you can give good light there is no reason you cant grow any of the D. intermedia forms like that. If they are temperate forms you will have to remove them from the terrarium for winter dormancy after they form hibernacula. They have to have the right daylength to go dormant though, so you would need to adjust your lights to match the natural daylength. The tropical form would be better suited for what you want to do.

but, u think it can survive a winter dormancy in Long island in a Minibog? It is only 5 inches deep, so idk if i can last the winter...

It is one of the more fussy customers when it comes to dormancy and coming back. I have mixed success. One year I put the plants in a plastic bowl after they went dormant. The moss in the bowl dried out totally, the peat was dry and crumbly. I fould the bowl in the spring, and was going to reuse the peat, and then I found the hibernacula, solid and sound. They grew well when planted.

Other years I have tried keeping them moist and in the fridge. This worked so so but I lost plants.

Too wet during the dormancy and the hibernacula will rot, and air circulation around the buds is a must. They have no roots during dormancy so watering is inadvisable.

Back