User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can i grow sundews in a tupperware?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my first nep, I left it in stand'in water and it died [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not surprised it died, Grim.
    However, we have ALL had trial and errors with CPs.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True dat. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had sundews in live LFS where the surface was dry to the touch grow happily and produce dew (D. dielsiana and several others). I have had pygmy species in peat as dry as from the bale make dew and look good.

Actually, most sundews appreciate letting the tray water stand dry for a couple of days: it allows air to get to the roots. Also fixes any mosquito larvae problems. This also applies to terresterial Utricularia.

In almost all cases I find sundews do better, grow stronger and are more typical when grown in humidity above 40%. You need to use a bit of observation in doing this and protect them from potentially drying winds, and the plants do need a period of acclimization if they have been grown "soft". Seed grown plants make no fuss about lower humidity at all. Everyone's conditions are different, but I feel the constant emphasis on high humidity for this genera is most misleading.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Day or 2 or 3 or 4 is probably fine, but stand them in water for over a week and your plant will look rather unwell and it might die. When I said they hate it, I meant it on long term. Im SURE if you stand a Nep in water for over 2 weeks, it will probably die.
    Actually, that's only true for MOST neps. I have two that I let sit in water frequently. Infact, they get mad at me if I let them go too long without refilling the trays. Those are my Bical and my raf. The others would be right miffed with me if I kept them too wet. Ah, well...
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree w/ Tamlin. All of my Drosera and Sarracenia do well w/ humidity above 40%. I use the tray water method, and the water level do fluctuate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. Mirabilis wont have anyproblems sitting in water either
    Nike SB is Bananas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12