What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i grow sundews in a tupperware?

The humidity in my area is not always very high, so I was wondering if I could grow a sundew in a clear tupperware container.

You can, but I haven't found the need for all that much high humidity (40% and above is fine for most species). If you can grow VFT's without a terrarium, it should be possible to do the same with Drosera.

Tamlin knows his stuff, but I can't fathom that low of a humidity. I don't think you want 100% though, so you may try it with plenty of holes punched in the lid.
Joe from Tuscon, AZ(Pinguiculaman on here) uses the containers w/o the lids. He has a grow room and can maintain a good humidy in the room itself. His containers look fabulous, as he usually has a megaton of plants growing in each one. Ever see a small tub full of D. regia begore?
smile.gif

Joe

PS. Tamlin, how well do the plants "dew" at 40%? Maybe I can try open trays under a grow light in my basement.

My drosera are in trays of de-ionesed water in open air. They are very healthy and are producing lots of dew. However, some sundews may need more humidity than others.

Do sundews also use the tray-watering method?

Yes, sundews DO use the watering tray method(just like VFTs)
Here is a reference:
Plants that like being stood in water at ALL times:(the only exception is during dormacy, when the plants should be kept drier)
Dionea muscipula(venus flytrap)
Drosera(sundews)
Darlingtonia californica(cobra lily)
Terrestial Utricularia(terrestrial blladerworts)
Sarraccenia(pitcher plants)
Pinguicula(butterworts)
Genlisea(corkscrew plant)

Plants that like being stood in water, but they like to let the tray evaporate first, after the tray evaporates, wait about a day then add more.
Ephythitic/tropical Utricularia(ephthitic/tropical blladerworts)
Cephalotus follicullaris(Albany pitcher)

Plants that HATE being stood in water(it could even kill them)
Nepenthes(Tropical pitcher plants)

Im not sure about the following:
Heliamohora(sun pitchers)
Drosophyllum(dewy pine)

Hope this helps!
Dino:)

I've never had problems letting Neps stand in water for a day or two... even 3 or 4!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Day or 2 or 3 or 4 is probably fine, but stand them in water for over a week and your plant will look rather unwell and it might die. When I said they hate it, I meant it on long term. Im SURE if you stand a Nep in water for over 2 weeks, it will probably die.

I remember my first nep, I left it in stand'in water and it died
smile_h_32.gif

Im not surprised it died, Grim.
However, we have ALL had trial and errors with CPs.

I have had sundews in live LFS where the surface was dry to the touch grow happily and produce dew (D. dielsiana and several others). I have had pygmy species in peat as dry as from the bale make dew and look good.

Actually, most sundews appreciate letting the tray water stand dry for a couple of days: it allows air to get to the roots. Also fixes any mosquito larvae problems. This also applies to terresterial Utricularia.

In almost all cases I find sundews do better, grow stronger and are more typical when grown in humidity above 40%. You need to use a bit of observation in doing this and protect them from potentially drying winds, and the plants do need a period of acclimization if they have been grown "soft". Seed grown plants make no fuss about lower humidity at all. Everyone's conditions are different, but I feel the constant emphasis on high humidity for this genera is most misleading.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Day or 2 or 3 or 4 is probably fine, but stand them in water for over a week and your plant will look rather unwell and it might die. When I said they hate it, I meant it on long term. Im SURE if you stand a Nep in water for over 2 weeks, it will probably die.

Actually, that's only true for MOST neps. I have two that I let sit in water frequently. Infact, they get mad at me if I let them go too long without refilling the trays. Those are my Bical and my raf. The others would be right miffed with me if I kept them too wet. Ah, well...

I agree w/ Tamlin. All of my Drosera and Sarracenia do well w/ humidity above 40%. I use the tray water method, and the water level do fluctuate.

N. Mirabilis wont have anyproblems sitting in water either

Back