What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my first sundew

Yay! I got my first sundew in the mail today.
biggrin.gif

It kinda arrived in bad shape though....it was uprooted and had dirt stuck to it so much that I couldn't even see it. So I was wondering what I should do.

I replanted it and used a spray bottle to get off some of the dirt. There is still a lot of dirt though and its not coming off with the spray bottle. Should I leave the dirt or should I try to get it off some other way?

It also has two flower stems. How do I make those get seeds? Or should I cut them?

help! lol

I wouldn't worry about the rest of the dirt. I would make sure that the plant is kept moist and covered for now. It is probably in shock. I would also cut off the flower stalks because that's just one more thing draining its energy right now. I have read that bright light isn't good for a plant in shock. The existing leaves have probably lost their dew. If the plant pulls through, then the new leaves will have dew. Give it some time and stable conditions. Good luck!

yeah I was thinking the flowering would drain too much out of them for right now.

*sniff* It'll be too sad to cut them. Its my first flowering in any of my CPs. But, a flowerless plant for now is better than a dead plant.

Plus it won't be too long till there are new leaves with dew. Theres a bunch of baby leaves already popping out
biggrin.gif

i would water it with a some superthrive (1 drop per gallon)
it really helps shocked plants, i havnt lost any yet (then again, i dont have a HUGE collection yet
biggrin.gif
)
also, like jim said keep it in a shded area for a while till it recovers, and makesure the humidity is pretty high
hope that helps,
Hellz

Don't worry about flowers with a spatulata, once it recovered, it will produce many flowers and lots of seeds.

I just saved my first spathulata from Franks, I cut off the flower, stuck it in some water, dumped some ST in it and now I'm just praying it pulls through
biggrin.gif

Back